Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know everyone is different but is there a ballpark range as to when you can do some normal and not so normal stuff after a laminectomy and discetomy. Mine was last Thurs on l5-S1 and I can walk of course but other things like bending over, picking up stuff, elliptical, bike etc. How long for others who have had the same procedure. Right now I've been given the whole...be sensible an don't do anything that hurts and I have my follow up next week but I'm just curious about how others have progressed. I know I have to take it easy and can't risk reinjuring this or the one above which is not in the best shape but I want to make sure I don't take it too easy either. Thanks.

• Hi Waves!

I am two days ahead of you and was at my followup on Friday. I was told to do whatever I wanted; drive, bend, lift no more than 25 lbs. (I'm still not gonna lift anything; that's what teenage kids are for!, FINALLY they are old enough to be useful to me!)

I asked the Dr. if it was O.K. to "exhale" yet, he said yes. Just if it hurts, STOP. (well duh!)

Next is 4-6 weeks of PT, unless the co-pay is too high, then just get a home program.

I don't think I will ever forget any of this experience (before surgery) and will treat my back like it is made of glass for the rest of my life.

Also, I feel like I need to "commemorate" this event; and when the incision heals enough, I am considering getting a tattoo to cover it. Maybe a little bullseye? I am not the tattoo type, and this would be my first, but hey, you only live once.

I'm so glad your doing well!

Best wishes,