Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here and need help!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello,

I'm new here but just don't know where to start. I had a microscopic diskectomy L5-S1 done in 3/06. In 2/07 had a Anterior interbody fusion at L5-S1 with LT cages, Infuse and pyramid plate done. I've had tons of tests done and nerve root injections and nothing helped.

L2-3: minimal posterior disc bulge
L3-4 Mild Broad based posterior disc bugle. Central canal and neural foramina adequate
L4-5 Normal height of the disc space. There is a mild broad based posterior disc bulging with a very small focal protrusion just right of the midline. This causes mild indentation along the anterior margin of the thecal sac. Central canal and lateral recesses appear adequate. Facets appear normal. Neural Foramina adequate.
L5-S1: There are findings related to prior left L5 laminotomy. Minor distortation of the thecal sac in this area related to the surgery. Central canal appears to be of good size. There are findings from anterior fusion plate extending from L5 to S1 as well as interbody fusion device. No subluxation. There appears to be mild residual broad based posterior disc bulging with no significant encroachment on the thecal sax or nerve roots identified. Neural foramina adequate.

In 10/08 I had an EMG done for the first time and showed severe nerve damage.

5/14/09: TC Spine: Presents with some tenderness at the mid-thoraic level as well as down in the lumbosacral spine. Sciatic notches are non-tender bilaterally. Lateral flexion of the trunk increases pain slightly in both directions, particulary in extension.
MRI: showing only some benign hemangiomas at T6 and T10. There is some mild disc degeneration at C6-7 with some bulging. No evidence of nerve root compression. Some mild degeneration at C6-7.
A C6-7 disc bulge or protrusion indents the thecal sac without apparent cord contact on axial images.

6/15/09: MRI Cervical Spine without contrast
There is loss of the normal cervical lodosis without spondylolistesis

I have neck pain and crippling back, hip, knee pain. I don't know what else to due!! The doctors just give me pain killers which i hate taking. I'm currenlty on Lyrica and Lunesta to help me sleep. The lyrica isn't helping me at all and i've been on it for over a month.

My next thought is to see a neurologist for help. What do you think.

I don't know what else to do.... any thoughts? Sorry this is so long just looking for advice.
advertisement

Comments

• hi i'm pete and a fellow pain person. sorry your pain is bad and that medications aren't doing the job.
    i read your report and nothing sticks out as the cause for such pain. the pain in your hip and and knee suggest it's coming from above L4...i agree that a neurologist might help. i would in addition see a physiatrist/pain mgt dr. who can make recommendations on the proper treatment for your pain. have you tried physical therapy, acupuncture or stretching, if the neurologist can't pinpoint the area causing your pain then the PM dr. might be your best friend.
    i sure wish you luck in finding source of pain
    best....pete

• Hi Pete,

Thanks for replying. I have tried acupuncture but it only helped for about a month. I've done 3 rounds of PT and it only makes it worse. I think I might see a neurologist very soon.
    Thanks!
  • Sorry to hear that you are having such pain. I think we all here can identify with how you feel. Personally I would see a Neuro. They are the ones that helped me more than anything. My PCP treats my current pain, I have done the Pain Clinic thing and was not able to find any help with the pain.

Not to say that it doesn't work, I know many people who have wonderful success with it. I am currently awaiting more surgery this summer, and hoping it helps with some of my pain and other issues as well.

Welcome to the board and know that there are a lot of wonderful people here to support you and share a wealth of info on things you may have arise.

Please let us know how things go, and ask your doctor for something more than Lyrica for pain. There is no shame on taking meds, just need to find one that works for you.
  • Sorry for the pain. I would see a NeuroSurgeon as a Neurologist can't do surgery if necessary. I agree to see a Pain Management Dr. If the one you see isn't doing anything more maybe get a 2nd PM Dr. would help. You need to get pain under control and may need an adjustment in your meds . Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I agree with the other posters and see a neuro asap. Until then to relieve some discomfort take some anti inflams to reduce inflammation. They take a week to kick in but will help. If you can find a pool go in and walk in the pool. see how ya do and go from there. My pool exercises reduce my pain to zero when I have my painful areas under the water. fluid floats in the water and the exercises u can do in the water will reduce inflammation as well. Its worth a shot and the anti inflams need to be taking several times a day every day in order to work. good luck :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.