Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Must be the day for falls

Neck of Steel CindyNNeck of Steel Cindy Posts: 1,064
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just read where itsalongwalk had a fall today, so I know I'm not alone. But man oh man did I have a big one. I'm still trying to decide whether to call the doc today or just see how things go.

I took my daughter to the doc for a followup after having foot surgery. The nurse took all the bandages off of Angie's feet, exposing 2 nice rows of stitches on both feet. I decided to take a closer look after the nurse left the room and stood at the end of the exam table where she was proudly showing off her new bunnion-less feet. There was a doctor's stool directly behind me, and my wobbly legs were needing a rest...

Crash bang, the blasted stool went shooting behind me, and I went down, banging my thoracic spine right below my fusion level against a shelf, sent the big exam lights shooting against the wall, hit my head and then arm against the wall. Nurses came running to find out what I broke, and they weren't meaning on my body! Fortunately all the equipment in the room is okay. Whew, that would have been an expensive office visit if I had to pay for their "stuff". After that the nurse who normally sits behind the desk and makes the appointments came in the room and started taking stitches out of Angie's feet. I think she was afraid to leave us alone for fear I would break something else! :jawdrop:

So I gingerly sat in the regular chair (NOT on wheels), leaned my head against the wall, and practiced breathing, willing myself to not let her know that I was hurting.

Made it out to the car and leaned back for a minute. I gained my composure enough to stop at one store, but by the time got what I needed and hobbled out, I was done in. Isn't it surreal how the adrenaline keeps us going but once we let our guard down we are done in? My body has stiffened up, neck is very stiff, and I have big swollen spot to the side of my spine towards edge of my body. It seems like the nerve pain going down legs is tenfold.

And I was hoping to have a date with my hubby tonight. Um, I think that is out.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!

• OUCH, I hope you didn't hurt anything badly! Rest up, and if you think you need it, call the doc!!!! :T
  • Don't forget some ice. It's always good to get a check up with your Doctor. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I've had the ice packs out already. Feels good until I move. Sure wish it wasn't a Friday evening or I'd be calling my doctor for certain. For the time being though, I think it is okay to wait. Thanks for the words of sympathy Charry and Kat.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Sorry that you took such a hard fall. I would contact your doc and at least let him know and allow him to make the determination if he feels you should be examined. Always best to be safe rather than sorry. You have had to deal with so much lately, a phone call wouldn't take too much to do and could be exactly what is needed.

• ~X( Bless your heart! So sorry you fell and hurt yourself and now have to spend your Friday night blanketed in ice packs. Sounds like something that would happen to me. 8} Wish you had one of those ice baths that the sports athletes get to use. Maybe after you ice for a while, you get take a hot bath or shower. Might be time for some Biofreeze. Hope you have pain meds to get you throughg tonight and are able to sleep. >:D<

Be kind to yourself and see the doctor if the pain gets too bad.

Your sister in pain!
  • I will try to get in touch with doc if it gets worse. I've been doing this long enough to know that things hurt way worse initially but then the pain eases off. If it does not get better, I will call.

An ice bath doesn't sound fun. Reminds me of the movie Stick It where the gymnast immerses herself in a tub full of ice. A couple ice packs is my way of getting the same effect without the teeth chattering chill! And yes, a good hot soak in the tub will feel good.

Again, thanks for the concern.
  • Cindy,
    I hope you are not hurting to badly tonight. I tell you do as I should not as I do...jk A guy asked me in the hospital elevator if it is a full moon. Told him I wasn't sure but things are strange today. Hope you are comfy curled up in the recliner and relaxing by now and the pain isn't to bad. I am sure you will really feel it tomorrow.....grrrr why they put wheels on the doc's chair anyway? JK take care
  • brrrrrr, ice bath, Tom Cruise did that in Minority report.

Hope tomorrow finds you much better, Cindy!

• Now that is good coming from my spiney twin. We both seem to deal with the same stuff. And yeah, why the wheels? It is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I am sooooo stiff tonight, can't imagine tomorrow. I just took another muscle relaxer, so maybe it will keep me from getting even more stiff. Argh!
  • hopefully you didn't do any permanent damage to your back,did the nurses seemed concerned about you at all or were they just worried about there office equipment? ;) sounds like you've done everything that could be done to minimize your pain and swelling i hope it doesn't last too long for you.relax and rest and call that doc. :)

• The nurse did ask if I was okay, and to be honest I tried to shrug it off and be brave. It was actually quite embarrassing. She did ask if I needed ice after a few minutes, so she knew I was hurting. But I just wanted to get out of there. This was about my daughter, and I didn't want to make a big deal over myself when she was the one needing attention.

Anyway, I am feeling improved. Still have increased pain, but I am confident it is muscular. My neck does have a "catch" in it, but when muscles are as tight as mine are, it can pull things out of alignment. So for now, it is ice/heat and TENS. I'll call the doc in a few hours (yay it is Monday) and just report in about what happened. How are you feeling Tammy? Any better?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Cindy, I am sorry to hear about your fall. Reading your post, I could picture exactly what happened to you - painful!
    How are you doing today? You mentioned that you see some improvement but still are very sore. I go along with what you feel things are (muscular). Now that you are past 72 hours or so, warm moist heat (bathtub, long shower) might help. But then again if Ice is helping you, stay with it.
    Get better!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com