Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My MRI report - not so good

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I picked up my MRI report today and although I won't be talking with my surgeon until next Wednesday, it's not hard to see that I've got some issues.

Here are the cliff notes (some of these I've obviously paraphrased):

Findings: Endplate changes associated with degenerative disc disease are predominantly seen at L1-L2. Multilevel degenerative disc disease changes are most pronounced at L1-L2 as well where the changes are advance in nature.

L1-L2: Asymmetric disc osteophyte complex more prounounced to the right of midline. No compromises seen.

L2-L3: Minimal disc bulge with mild degenerative changes of the facets bilaterally. No compromises seen.

L3-L4: Mild disc bulge and mild to moderate degenerative changes involving the facets bilaterally. No compromises seen.

L4-5: Diffuse disc bulge and moderate degenerative changes involving the facets bilaterally with associated ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. Moderate to severe spinal canal and bilateral lateral recess stenosis at this level. Impingement of any of the traversing lumbosacral nerve roots is possible. There is mild narrowing of the neural foramina bilaterally without definable nerve impingement.

L5-S1: Unremarkable appearance of the posterior disc margin with mild degenerative changes involving the facets bilaterally. No significant compromises seen.

Impression: Multilevel degenerative disc disease and facet osteoarthropathy changes of the lumbar spine as described in detail above. Moderate to severe spinal canal and bilateral lateral recess stenosis at L4-L5 could impinge any of the traversing lumbosacral nerve roots at this level.

Obviously, I'm not liking these findings very much, but I know I need to wait and see what my surgeon says. I was really hoping that the word "severe" wouldn't appear in this report.

Just thought I'd post my pre-consult results.

• Why do we do it to ourselves? We always get our reports in advance, then kill ourselves with worry until we see the doctor... just my opinion, I'm never going to ask for results in advance again... it drove me crazy with worry. ~X( :SS :W 8}

Sorry it's not sounding so good. Try to take it easy and think of other things until your appointment. Keep yourself and your mind occupied so your MIND won't occupy YOU.

I'll be thinking of you!

• At least when we are smart enough to understand what we are reading!

My MRI of my shoulder that showed the avascular necrosis was so foreign a concept to what we expected that even my PCP did not believe it. My Orth surg took one look at it and said, "well now we know why it hurts so much we need to go in with a scope and see how bad it is"...

Lets hope Cath's doc can shed some good news on the subject.
  • I'm so sorry to hear that but have faith. It may be treatable without surgery. I too need to return to school to complete my masters. You really want to work in a public school???? I'm kidding I work in one but it's middle school and I wonder if all the stress is worth it but the children I work with were wonderful to me this year so I stay. Good Luck and I hope it's better then you think and there is a cure besides surgery.