Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

on going diagnosis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
The war is never over until the final battle is won but 19 years is a long time to be on the losing side.

Hi I'm new to this forum. Here's my story.
19 years ago I went to the GP complaining of persistent one sided headaches after a bike crash and I was told I had spondylosis.
The medication didn't work and what I was also starting to experience: haziness, vertigo seemed out of all proportion to the prognosis. The only thing that helped was my regular intake of drink and over the years this spiralled insidiously such that I could't separately identify the progression of the symptoms of the two.
Sparing the detail, the combined effects took a devastiting toll. I eventually worked a 12 step program and got rid of the latter but the pain was by now bewildering and still I had some very strange and frightening effects.
Because I chose to be straightforward about my alcolism my complaints were met with some scepticism by my new GP and though I new that something else was wrong and in need of investigation i had to fight a 5 year war of attrition with the doctor via 2 physiotherapy x ray painkillers antidepression medication etc before more or less demanding a scan. The GP seemed almost triumphant when it came back showing normal wear & tear, proving i had been the malingering drunk he suspected. Recently the chronic pain clinic identified a facet joint hypertrophy at 3/4 through reexamination of the mri scan and, although the diagnosis is ongoing it feels almost like a release from a prison sentece that some releif is in sight via block injections.The hardest lesson has been that it is necessary to fight so hard to get the treatment and that the trust placed in hghly qualified public servants is so often misplace.
Thanks for listening

• Remember that noone knows your body like you do... Congrats on beating the Alcohol. I have never been addicted so I won't pretend I know what you went through. I am glad you finally found a doc to listen to ya. Be well...

• Hi, and welcome! I'm so sorry you are having trouble getting the care you deserve! There are many people here that have written posts on how to talk to your doctors (I am one of many that has been unsuccessful in that regard, and have always been led here and there by my doctors.) Run a search on the forums, it may help you with your ongoing problems.

I would like to congratulate you on your success with beating the old Alcohol chain! <:P =D> My ex-husband was and is a functioning alcoholic, but unfortunately for our "kids" he is not an "ex" in that regard. I wish you the best for your continued success. O:)

I am happy you stopped by, and hope you stay a while and keep us posted!

• It's sad that dr's don't always have the good of their pt's as their primary interest. In my experience, money plays a big part of their objective. If you have insurance, you can USUALLY get tests, appts, perscrips, etc. Someone who self-pays or doesn't have either money or insurance, gets short shrift, if seen at all usually in an emergency room. Thankfully not all dr's are this way, but a lot of them are.

Good for you for taking control of your life, I hope the block injections work for you. Did you have the pain clinic send a copy of their diagnosis to your GP? Might open his eyes a little.

Take care,