Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

23 Year Old Active Male, Just got hit with the pain train

KinTNKKinTN Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey guys, I have been lurking for awhile and decided to join. My name is Kip, I am also a member on adrsupport incase anyone else knows me. I am 23 I work on the floor of a Fitness center here in TN. I have been active my entire life, and recently - October of last year I injured my lower back or herniated my disk, i've heard collapsed or compressed L5-S1.

I have exercised or worked out ever since I can remember and its strange not to do the things we love. Run, Bike etc.. I hurt it doing a routine exercise and so be it.

I have had antiimflamatorys, PT, (3 Epididurals, well 4 i guess had one Tuesday), a discogram, and now am considering my options. I have ruled out a disk replacement as I don't believe they will last for a young person currently, but I have been considering fusion at that level due to how much motion occurs, although I am worried about adjacent level disk degeneration, and well it just not working.

Pain is at lowerback, sciatica at my hips to my feet. Its funny I dont know if its from exercising or when I got into an allied health program at school and had to carry mucho sized books. At any rate I hope to learn.

My doc recently told me (neuro), at my age he would prefer I wait , and surgery should be when I just cant take it anymore, because of the progress with stem cells, now i dont mind paying that $ for regenexx but im not convinced that its 100% yet.
Nice to meet you all.
advertisement

Comments

• Hello and welcome! Sorry to hear of your pain, but we are hear to lend an ear, and maybe share similar stories from our own experiences.

Have you gotten more than one opinion? We ALL swear by it, I don't think any of us would let someone touch us without multiple opinions. I don't understand why doctors want to wait on young patients. If there is a possibility of nerve damage, you would think they would want to do something for it early. :/ I hope you will consider getting another opinion. You already have signs that a nerve is compressed (sciatica), and it's not usually a good sign.

Good luck, and keep us posted! I'm going to try to catch some zzz's now (|:
  • Yes I have literally been to my 4th doctor, I think I could live with just pain if I didnt think it was getting worse, the knee going out at work, sciatica just getting worse, muscle spasms, I mean how long is enough?

Its been 10 months now?
    I have lost 20lbs since then from inactivity (us guys and exercise i know its hard to explain)

• Welcome to Spine Health.

You will intuitively "know" when enough is enough. No one can tell you otherwise. We all have our different capacity for dealing with pain and discomfort and some more than others. When you reach the point of enough is enough, you will know it and any decision you make will be an easy one. The key is to do your research and take as good of care of yourself in the interim. That way you are better prepared and better informed.

Best wishes,

"C"
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. there are some good meds out for sciatica now. :D talk to your doc about them.. :-C glad you decided to stop by!! :D so no more lurking!! :D we are here to talk and chat with you anytime!! good luck with your pain future! :D Jenny :)
advertisement