Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what a dilemma

lulusheartllulusheart Posts: 4,273
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Matters of the Heart
good morning friends!! :H well, i have quite a dilemma on my hands.. :? as many of you know i faced gallbladder surgery, developed pancreatitis and have been waiting to see what to do next.. :W well, the doctor is starting to think my meds, morphine, is the cause of my constant nausea as well as the pain in my stomach.. :T oh, we can go for the gallbladder surgery again, but the feeling is now that i need to stop my morphine and switch to another pain med.. this might just solve the problems.. but it is not so easy to just switch pain meds, even stop!! i have no idea where i am right now. :SS thank you for your thoughts and prayers!! :D i need them all. L, Jenny :)

• jenny you sound so upset and for good reason what you have been thru....but if the morphine IS the problem it's better than going thru more surgery ....ya you have to come off it but if youre 'CURED' you'll be in a better situation.
    thinking of you....pete
  • Pete, you are right about avoiding surgery but going off morphine and not having any pain meds is really scary to me.. :T i was in a really good place in having adequate medication and pain control.. :D and then, what if it is not the meds?? :? thanks for your thoughts! Jenny :)
  • I understand your fears. I too experience the pain of fear. All the what ifs hit us so hard. Just remember you have so many friends here to help you through the struggle. We love you and our hope for you will never diminish. >:D< >:D<
  • They will switch you over to something else and won't leave you hanging high and dry in pain. You will be alright. If it is the morphine, best to get off of it and onto something else. The doc can calculate the titration schedule for you and keep you comfortable.

• Hi Jenny! Re your problem w/ morphine..I had the same trouble, it helped my pain better than anything else but made me so nauseated. So doc switched me to dilaudid, which is essentially the same as morphine but w/ the element that makes you sick taken out. He also gave me Zofran (an anti nausea drug) during the switch-over, just to be sure I wouldn't be nauseous. Dilaudid is 8x's stronger than morphine, so I only needed 2 mg PRN...worked very well to control the post-fusion pain & no queasy tummy.

You might suggest this to him. I had tried other stuff (Percoet, oxycodone, etc) but got no pain relief & also got sick from them too. So dilaudid (generic name "hydromorphone") was just a miracle.
    Good luck! Give it a try and let us know how you're doing!
  • Hi Jenny,

I am so very sorry to hear that you are facing another dilemma. Geeze! :W

I can totally understand feeling scared about switching to another pain killer, but if what you are taking is hurting your stomach... it's time to switch. Gotta get that tummy feeling better and healed!

Your doctor will not want you to be in any additional pain during the transition to the new medication, so rest assured he will do everything possible to make it easy on you. He knows the pain you are in and is doing what he feels is best for your stomach problems. He won't let you suffer, Jenny.

I will be praying that your new medication will bring you even better relief with no bad side efffects.

Much love to you,

Tammy :*

• Hi Jenny,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. :( Jenny if you are allergic to the morphine, they can try other pain meds. maybe you can try Dilaudid for you pain. Dilaudid is stronger than morphine. Dilaudid is a good pain killer. Jenny I wish you the best and pray your docs can figure out what is wrong and you get better.

• thank you all for the thoughts.. :X i feel better as i come upon another day! :D Jenny :)
  • Hey Jenny, how is the pancreas thing coming along? I know first hand how bad that can be. I spent 5 weeks in the hospital because of a really bad case of it, and a year with only eating a liquid no-fat diet.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the nausea is from the meds, because if you have pancreatitis this can make you very nauseated, and gives off a lot of pain. But, if the doctors are certain it is the morphine, I'm sure they can get you fixed up with something else. Maybe getting two doctors consulting about your situation would be a good idea. A 2nd set of eyes never hurts, unless of course they differ in opinion and then you are even more confused!

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • What kind of surgery? I hope it all goes well for you on Tuesday.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi fellow night owls I hope you dont mind me joining
    in it doesnt look like to many others are up tonight
    I am having surgery on tuesday and Im laying here
    hoping im making the right decision
    my heart goes out to all of you
  • Hi im having L5 and S1 fusion anterior
  • frvyoung,hi!! :H if you are up at night, slip over to the "Sleep Problems" forum under, "Time for new posts." there is usually always somone up over there.. <:P i do wish you the best on your surgery.. =D> have you checked the "Back and Neck surgery" forum? :? you may get some support there as well. good luck once again and stop by anytime!! :D Neck of Steel, i feel the way you do!! i never had any trouble with my meds before and the pancreatitis is still there and i think it is still the problem. i may just go back and have the gallbladder tried again.. the nausea is so bad, and the pain in my tummy!! YIKES!! i am on a no-fat diet which means lots of liquids. thanks for the advice and your concern!!!! Jenny
  • So sorry to hear about his latest development but hang in there, I know the doctors will not let you be in pain.

I'm confused though, did you not have the gall bladder surgery, or, do you have to have additional surgery. I thought you had the surgery for your gall bladder and developed pancreatitus.

Okay, I just re-read your post and it sounds like you went in for the surgery but developed pancreatitus and didn't have the surgery. Is that right?

If you didn't have the surgery for your gall bladder, then you're still feeling funky like you were before you went for the surgery. You poor thing, bless your heart!

Un-confuse me please (LOL!)

Take care and sending you a hug >:D< .

• The morphine can cause probs with nausea and pain, as can Tramadol. Taking a anti-nausea med can make a big difference. My doctor also suggested a diet change, adding in probiotics like yohurt and natural honey which has a healing property in it. Perhaps a meds change may help and still give pain relief as the others have said.Good Luck and I hope things settle for you soon-you don't need anymore aggravation to deal with-Hugs n' Love - Paula
  • good evening, :H winkie, it is so strange that you would mention honey.. i have been taking a special honey called Makuna honey which is a 16plus on the microbiotic scale.. i am taking it specifically for my pancreas. to soothe it!! :D i am feeling better and who know's it could be working!!! as for what happened i went in for gallbladder surgery. they found an ulcer and when they went past it, inflamed my pancreas.. they decided to open up part of the gallbladder, drained it of "slush" and inserted small wires to hold the ends of the gallbladder open better. i went into day recovery but the irritation to my pancreas was to intense and i was in the hospital for almost 7 days.. very sick!!!! :''( when i recovered from the severe pancreatitis i still had the same symptoms i had when i went in, constant nausea and pain in my tummy.. now we are at today, i have been healing slowly from the pancreatitis and can now go back and have the gallbladder taken out. my doctor now feels that perhaps my medication could be causing the problems. ~X( so i am trying to heal up without more surgery. i do alot of studying of how to heal naturally and am trying my best to get well and get going with my life. =D> i appreciate everyone's thought's and suggestions and hope soon to only have my back and hip problems to worry about!!!! everyone take care!! :D L, Jenny
  • Hi Jenny-Gosh you have been coping with so much, just to be able to sort out what is causing so much pain, you are amazing.They use Manuka honey here in New Zealand to help heal diabetics skin ulcers with great results, also with stomach/digestive problems the use has been very positive. Apparently it has a natural antibiotic element which is proving great for many health issues and it tastes good. It also feels good to be able to have some control over our health. Have also been trying to get more fibre in my diet without it being an irritant (nuts, seeds, pips)so have been making soup with lots of vegies and pulses-it tastes good and is quick to prepare. Good Luck with healing without further surgery-Hugs n' Loves -Paula
  • In December, I had an attack of the most horrific pain I had experienced in a very long time. Made it through the night, went to my doc the next day, had an abdominal US and it showed sludge in my gallbladder. By that night, I was in the ER. Within an hour, found out I had acute pancreatitis with lipase and amylase dangerously high. I was admitted immediately.

I had an ERCP within 2 days to clear stones out of the ducts, and then my gallbladder removed. I was released and was put back in the hospital 3 days later with acute pancreatitis AGAIN. I spent a total of 12 days through Christmas in the hospital. My release was delayed when I had a reaction to contrast meds and benadryl, swelling up all over my face, my eyes shut, etc. Ack.

How long have you been on these meds? Have they ever caused problems? If you have been on morphine for a long while, I would point this out to him. I had to do the same thing.

When they got in to remove my gallbladder, they could NOT believe how bad it was, considering the test results just showed "sludge". Sometimes things are a lot worse and tests don't show it.

What I was told is all narcotic meds cause nausea and upset tummy, so I wonder what they would put you on? If they put you on another narcotic and you still have nausea, will they blame THAT med?

Surgery is no fun, but neither is a very sick gallbladder causing acute pancreatitis.

Can you get a second opinion?

After I recovered, I continued to have nausea for 4 months.....and had all kinds of tests. It finally started dissipating in May and I feel fine now. Sometimes it takes a while for your GI system to adjust.

I am not a doctor, but just went through this. If you have taken Morphine for a long while, I would seriously question this. If it is a relatively new med, then it could definitely be the morphine.

Sorry you are having to suffer. Acute pancreatitis is horrid.

Take care,