Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

McKenzie PT after cervical ACDF?

CMCCM Posts: 100
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had ACDF at C5/C6 in February 2009. I now have pain/burning in my upper back/right shoulder, and various sharp pains in my hands. My surgeon sent me to a PT to learn McKenzie "therapy". I'm supposed to move my head straight back while pushing on my chin, and also bend my head backwards. I'm supposed to do 10 or 20 repetitions, ideally every hour. I would like to hear from anyone who has used this treatment method after having ACDF. Did it help you? Thanks.

• i'm not doing all of it. i just do the chin retractions,its mainly helping my tight muscles in my neck.i had a three level fusion,4-5,5-6,6-7.
  • TammyC, thanks for replying.

Bending my head backwards made my symptoms worse, so I stopped! Moving my head and neck straight back seems to be okay, though. Generally speaking, just straightening my neck relieves the pain. I tend to let my head and neck protrude forward (bad posture). I don't think the therapists who worked with me really knew what they were doing. The both had just completed the McKenzie training. In fact, I think they hurt my back. I wrote about it in a post in the Back/Neck Surgery forum.
  • i was a little surprised when you said they had you moving your head up and back.my surgeon didn't want me doing that but my therapist told me to only push back on my chin and i haven't had any problems with it yet.burning sensation sound like inflammation i do get that every so often and i still have nerve pain on and off,i had my surgery last april,what your describing doesn't sound that out of the ordinary your not really that far out of surgery and it takes a long time for your nerves to heal.