Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi to all....new at this site

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Howdy all! I am a 48 yo female w/DDD and severe arthritis of the lumbar spine. I have just been told that b/c I have multi-level DDD as well as lateral and formaminal stenosis,I wouldn't benefit from surgery.So I was told to go see a pain management dr. to help teach me to 'cope' with the pain!! As it is I can't work...can't ride my horses...can't engage in ANY kind of sports with my kids...this has made a HUGE impact on ALL aspects of my life, only to be told 'sorry can't help you'GRRRRRRRRR ~X(
Thanks for letting me vent and if anyone has any ideas for nonsurgical relief, pls let me know

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to Spine Health. This is a great place for advice and support.
    I'm sorry the drs say they can't help you. Have you got a second opinion? As far as nonsurgical relief, ice, heat, exercise, PT, pain meds, etc. In other words not much. lol. Seriously though, maybe you should get a second opinion. Did you see an orthopedic or a neurologist? Anytime you need to vent you're more than welcome. I do that quite often myself. The people on this forum keep me from going insane at times. Take care,
  • Hi and welcome! I agree with Debbie, if you haven't already, get another opinion. Of course, if you haven't tried many of the other non-surgical treatments, you should definitely go there first. Unfortunately, we hear it time and time again, surgeons just don't want to touch patients with arthritis, if all else fails and you just can't bare it any more, you should keep searching until you find a surgeon willing to help you.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

• I have tried epidural steroids,TENS, pt, ice, heat lidocaine patches...any other ideas that I can try? Right now I am on oxycontin,percoset, flexiril and soma at night.
    I am going to see about a 2nd opinion...I am just very tired of not being able to have ANY quality of life...
  • Hi im sonia im 31 and have just recieved my results from my mri scan i have 3 black discs and i alot of severe pain and i am looking for some help about this condition as i have no idea lol! doctors are not really helpful, so if anyone can tell me if this condition is gonna get worse or better! in time please let me know.

many thanks and look forward to chatting with you all!

• Hi-sorry you are having such a rough time. I just wondered if aqua therapy might help.You would need to get advice from your medic and physio if its possible. I did 6 months of regular aqua therapy in a heated mineral pool and also the heat tub stuff. It didn't fix me, but the water sure helped to cushion my body allowing me to move more freely. Good luck with finding ways forward-Hugs n' Loves-Paula
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. aqua therapy is a great idea!! :D stick around and see if you come across any new ideas! :D good luck as you seek pain relief! =D> Jenny :)
  • Sorry to hear about your serious condition, and the impact on your life.
    I guess that is something we have all had to contend with.
    As others have suggested, get other opinions. Have you seen a rheumatologist?
    Medical diagnosis and opinions vary widely,but make sure you really think about it and ask all of the questions you have.
    The advice about seeing a pain doctor to learn how to cope with this new chapter in your life is sound,and I'd strongly recommend that you follow through with it.
    You are now in a different sphere, and you have to learn how to navigate you way through it.
    It is a bit like grieving-you go through a long process before you come to terms with it.
    The first one is anger, then denial, and so on.
    My original pain doctor, as well as the other medicos that I saw, all said that there is nothing to be done with arthritis apart from pain control.
    From pills I graduated to steroid injections, 9 sets, which gave some but varied relief.
    That pain doctor retired and so i found a new one.
    He was totally different in his approach and attitude towards pain.
    First of all, he actually examined me. The first one to do so, strangely enough, apart from x-rays.
    While I have DDD and the usual arthritis for my age, 64, he couldn't see anything that would be causing my neck pain and headaches.
    He then found my neck muscles to be very sore. This was the cause of my headaches, he said.
    So after a few months of his recommended clinical physiotherapy, I have now stopped getting those awful tight neck muscle headaches.
    I still get the arthritic ache, which I am stuck with.
    The clinical physio takes a holistic approach to coping with pain, encompassing light stretches and exercises daily, as well as mental strategies if needed.
    The aim is to cut reliance on drugs and to get you both physically and mentally fit.
    So please don't ignore the pain doctor route, it may be the best thing you do.