Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone else have a multi-level thorasic fusion?

saamsonitessaamsonite Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I am 3 months post-op after having my second spinal fusion T2-T10. I am been having A LOT of pain recently. I am worried that this fusion is not going to be successful either. Is there anyone else that has had similar surgery that could offer any advice? What should I be feeling at this stage in the game? Any personal experience stories would be helpful... thanks.

• You had T2 through T10 fused????
  • :H
    I had my surgery on May 26, 2009. My fusion was T2 to T12. I am 40 years old and my scoliosis was getting worse. I was at a curve of 44 degrees and told it would continue to get worse. I decided to prepare my life and the life of my husband and 2 kids for surgery. Today it has been 6 weeks since my surgery. I have a lot of recovery still to come. I am still in pain off and on, but I am having so much nerve pain, stiffness, and numbness in my upper thighs. All normal we've been told. My doctor was a nuerosurgeon who really helped us through the process. Where did you here that the Celexa attributed to your first fusion NOT working? That concerns me a bit. :SS
    I have been on Prozac for several years. I was having a lot of anxiety attacks along with so much right rib pain (where my hump was), depression and irritable bowels problems, my primary Dr. put me on Prozac years ago. I am doing everything in my power to make this surgery successful. Please let me know if you'd like to chat more on your progress. According to my surgeon your quality of life should start to improve soon. :-C
  • I had a bone density scan after my first failed fusion and found that I am osteoporotic in my spine. I just turned 25, so my endocrinologist and I tried to find out WHY. All of my tests came back normal and I have no family history of it, so he said it was most likely a result from being on 40mg Celexa for 5 years. He said that there is recent data that suggests that SSRIs are causing bone loss- he couldn't think of anything else it might be. Once i found this out, I stopped taking it which has been HORRIBLE. I am so depressed all the time, but I really need this one to work! I have been in my brace for 3 months and still have at least another 2 to go. Its funny that people tell me that 2 months is short, but when you are just waiting for everyhour to go by- it seems like eternity!

Besides not taking the Celexa, I started to take Calcium + vitamin D to aid in bone growth. Also, my surgeon gave me a bone growth stimulator, which I did not have last time around either. The company that makes it is ORTHOFIX. It's expensive, but insurance should cover it. They have MUCH higher success rates with it, than without it. Other than that, I quit smoking because there is very little chance the fusion will be successful if you smoke.

Thanks for sharing your story with me. It's hard to find any information on how a thoracic spinal fusion is supposed to go- they seem very uncommon. It's nice to know that I am not the only one dealing with this...Keep in touch with your recovery. Best wishes!

• I had a fushion July 24th 2009 and am only a week out! I'm having some pain from the surgery but overall was a pretty good success, other than I had an emergency room visit on the 27th due to pluresey from the lung they had to collapse. The doctor said it's pretty common after that type of surgery. My doctor is from Texas Back Institute and his name is Dr. Shawn Henry. I think he is only one of three doctors in the U.S. that can do a minimaly invasive type of surgery on thoracic area. I only had a one inch scar on my left side, but pain from ribs being stretched alot is a bummer!I hope you can find a great doctor for your surgery as I suffered many years before I made the decision and I hope I made the right one and so far so good, I'll know more at my next visit in a couple of weeks. The doctor said the x-rays were perfect! Thanks! Robin renee
  • i have mutiple levels of my thorasic spine also.from T-2 through T-12.its been 4 years and i have pain between my shoulder blades all the time. ive also had cervical spine fusons at C-3-4-5-6 with a implant at C6-7.i still get head achs and tingling in my hands.