Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What should I be doing 10 days post - op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I should be at this point post-op. I would like to know how much I should be walking, sitting up? I try to sit up as much as I can, it is on the side of my bed. I am still on quite a lot of pain killers.I spread them out throughout the day to manage the pain.

My right foot is so swollen it looks likes Fred Flintstone's foot. I am still wondering about the UTI, the DR.s office never called me back about the test, now I am hurting pretty good when I go. Now my right side is hurting and I think it might be my kidney.

I just want to know what I should be doing I am still using the walker. I just don't want to be sitting on my butt to long. I go on Thursday to get my staples out. Should be interesting.....

Well any input would be great,
Thanks in advance

Deb
advertisement

Comments

• My Dr told me to walk with the walker as much as I could. But no sitting only to eat and go to the bathroom, period. It is not good for the fusion to sit upright. He told me I could walk as much as I wanted, not to sit. Also try some cranberry juice. If it gets bad, call or go to ER, You dont want any problems that way also. I used to the walker for a very long time. Also try elevating your legs. Anything else, please PM me. Hope you are getting better. Heres a Hug >:D<
  • sounds like your feeling a little better . but you realy need to go to the er about your uti that could be a big part of your problem you probbaly would feel sooo much better and start to heal up quicker let us know i dont know where you should be still waiting on my turn to have the same thing done you had done scared but coping love to hear good outcomes i sure you will be one of those Renee >:D< big hug for you
  • You should be resting as much as possible. When you aren't lying down, you should try to walk...but don't worry about how long or how far at this point. It is better to take many small walks than one long one. At this point you should only be sitting up to eat your meals and maybe a few minutes otherwise, here and there.

Sitting puts 30% more pressure on the lower lumbar spine than standing. At this point in your recovery, you should not be sitting for longer than about ten minutes at a time. Even after you have recovered, it is still not wise to sit for an extended period without getting up to walk around for a few minutes every hour or so.

Your body has been through major trauma so try to rest as much as possible at this point.

Just to remind you: avoid activities that involve bending, twisting, reaching up or sideways, and do not lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. Drink lots of fluids. Avoid riding in cars or in anything else that is going to have a vibration or that will jar the spine.

Before you know it, you will be well along on your way to a full recovery.
  • Hoping you are feeling better?
  • My wife is 11 days out of her surgery (L5/S1) and we were wondering the same. She had a slight discharge from her incision site last Thurs. So we called the dr. and let them know about that and a constant "knot" deep in her lower back. They put her on an antibiotic and said to take it easy. She is supposed to only walk when necessary, like to use the restroom and such. They told her that if she does have an infection, she could worsen it by walking. So we are following the advice and going in to see the dr tomorrow. Up till Thurs, she was quiet mobile (more than I expected) and in good spirits. Hopefully, the dr will have some good news and encouragement for her. We are going to ask what exactly she should and shoudn't be doing. How long should she stand and walk for at a time. Should she "push" thru the pain inorder to stregthen the muscles? She wants terribly to get up, grab her walker, throw on her brace, and walk around, get her own cup of coffee, check the mail, just everyday stuff. Hopefully the answers we get tomorrow will help us move forward.....

• I just wanted to update everyone. I am now on Bactrim for my UTI. I still have a lot of leg muscle pain, my legs feel like they just want to fall off. I have been up walking a little more, but my back is bruised around the bottom by my tail bone. It makes it hard to wear my brace, it feels like it is cutting into my back.

I go in Thursday to see my Dr. & to maybe get my staples out. I hope he can answer some of my questions. I to am sick of this sitting around. I need to know when I can move around, I know this is weird but I wish I can pick up some in my house I want to do dishes LOL. I feel bad that my sister is having to do everything. I backed off a little on the meds and I am not as foggy but I am still nodding off. That drives me crazy.

Well I hope your wife is doing better, I would like to know how she's doing after her Dr's appt.

Thanks again for the help,
    Deb
  • Don't do too much too soon. It's better to be cautious. You can do something nice for your sister when you have made a complete recovery. :)
    Donna
  • I read that somewhere here before.....you only want to do this ONCE, so do it right. You're only job right now is healing.....so give it the time it needs. It's really hard, I know, as life does not stop just because you had surgery. Even my husband says to me, 'you don't want to have to do this again....and either does he'!! :)

• Heidi is 100% right, nobody wants to go through the pain and recovery again for the same thing!!!

Take care of yourself, and listen to your body!

>:D<
  • You should be resting! I've often said "Resting is harder than working hard". Right now resting and healing is your full time job. And what a tough job it is! I know how hard it is to wake up every day and stay in bed. You need to make yourself rest and lay low. I had the same surgery done 1 1/2 years ago and I rarely need my cane now. It was the best thing I ever did. Good luck to you and take it EASY.
    Faith M
  • You are used to running things and doing for everyone else. NOW IT IS YOUR TURN. Really, everyone here cannot stress enough that it is not only important to rest your body, but you need to relax your mind, too. It probably does little good to lie down if your mind is running overtime thinking of all you SHOULD be doing.

Throw out all that thinking and just think about the moment and how your body has been through a HUGE shock (you wouldn't believe how much pounding the doc has to do). You need to focus all your positive energy to getting better.

I hope you are feeling a little better by today. Talk to your doc about that brace. It is more important to be able to walk a little than to wear the brace and be unable to move because the brace is hurting. Many docs do not brace any more, having learned to trust the new instrumentation. I have one of each and have quizzed both of them on all the pros and cons of bracing....anyway, talk to your doc when you go in.

Gotta run -- am off to accupuncture.

Hang in there, my friend.

xx Gwennie

P.S. It will be your sister's "turn" one of these days and you will be able to repay her efforts on your behalf!!

• I want to Thank you for the words of wisdom. I know rest is the best, and yes that's the hardest thing to do. But I am working on it.

Thanks again,
    Deb
  • Well, dr. appt. went fairly well. Drew some blood to check for infection...... Pretty much answered all of our questions. Said she should be walking around house as much as she is comfortable with. Walking helps the healing. Raised her meds up! Now she's taking Percocet 7.5/325 x2 and Robaxin 750 x1 four times a day. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be helping ease her pain at all! Now she is having severe muscle spasms deep in her lower back. Because of these, she hasn't slept more than 2hrs at a time since Mon. and probably a total of 8 in all. Dr. said spasms are common and will ease up. Walking is helping to ease them but, she is basically a walking zombie due to lack of sleep. She just can't get comfortable and is terrified to try and lie down for fear of spasms.
    On the positive side, she has no problem pointing out things that need to be staightened up and she can get her own coffee. These, to me, are significant signs of improvement and I'm very proud of her! =D> She said she would be feeling pretty good if we could get these spasms under control and she could get some uninterupted sleep.
    My thoughts and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery for everyone!
  • You had a multi-level fusion done, so I am sure that was much more invasive than my surgery (which was consider a minimally invasive 1 level fusion). How big was your incision(s)? Was it open surgery? My first doctor wanted to do an 8 inch incision open fusion surgery in my stomach and I am SURE I would be still really hurting if that was the case!

I feel lucky that my doctor doesn't brace - so I haven't had that to deal with although I wore the thing for 2 months prior to my surgery because my L1 vertebrae broke during a fall.

I just started really working on walking to encourage healing. I am only able to do .5 mile a day so far but hope to be at 1 mile in 1-2 weeks.

So, to answer your question - there is no place you should be, you should just do what you can handle right now - if your body still needs to rest, then follow what it needs! Keep us updated on your progress.

• I am going to go see the Dr. tomorrow, I am looking forward to this. (I have 3 incisions about 3-4" long) I am hoping my staples come out tomorrow. I got a bone stimulator today. yip-eeee I don't like my brace it pushes into my staples.

I have been walking around the house, I will be glad to get outside tomorrow. I am kinda gun shy about it, I guess I am afraid about going back down the stairs or falling.

It sounds like you are doing pretty good after your surgery. I like to hear this from others, this keeps me going. I really like all the people that post and give you tips on how to deal with different things.

Well I will let you all know how the Dr's visit goes tomorrow. And I am looking forward to getting back outside.

Until then, Take it easy,
    Deb
advertisement