Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c5 and c6 surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My husband has been in pain for over a year. He went month before seeing a dr thinking he had a pulled muscle. He has pain on his right side in his lower chest area. I finally talked him into going to the dr convincing him he had a cracked or broke rib. When he tried to move after laying or sitting still for a while he would cry out in pain. His dr took x rays and didn't see anything but could tell he was in pain so treating him for brusied muscles. After a few months when he only got worse he sent him to a orthopedic. He does have tingles and numbness in his right hand but they were saying that was c/t and a trigger finger. This dr told him he must have a hair line crack in his rib. He got a CAT scan but nothing. He was told not to do nothing or use his hand and it would take time to heal. Now, after about 3 months of this and he wasn't showing no signs of improvement this dr sent him to a lung dr. This one was agreeing with the orthopedic and just gave more pain pills and told him it would take time. He gave him a bone scan and sstill didnt see again thing. A few more months went by. By this time my husband is going crazy.We don't understand why nothing is showing up. You can't be in this kind of pain and nothing showing. Finally and MRI..... This shows the C5 & C6 in disstress. He sent him to a neurosurgeon. Not sure exactly what is wrong except he wants to do surgery. Something about going in to his neck and putting metal plates in and some kind of round desolving disc to stablize his neck until it heals. It would be day surgery and take apprx. a month to 6 weeks to heal. He says if he doesn't have the surgery he could be paralyzed w/o being treated. Has anyone had this surgery and did it work. Having surgery on your spine is scary but being paralyzed is more so.

• hi i'm pete. i saw your post and just wanted to say hello. sorry your husband has had pain for so long without proper diagnosis. i had chest pain for years also without proper diagnosis of neck trouble. my surgery of fusion was more complicated. i am not technically proficient in the exact nature of his fusion but i am sure everything will be fine, it's natural to worry but the surgeons are experienced and well trained. he will be in good hands and can expect a full recovery.
    when is his surgery?
    Feel free to ask questions or just vent your feelings. we are all fellow pain people here and understand your concern >:D<
    keep us posted and best of luck
  • Good morning Koran,
    If he is being advised by a NS to have a cervical fusion,then the MRI must have indicated disk problems at that level.I have had a fusion at that same level and experienced the chest,arm pain for a long time before I saw a DR. My disk rupture was so obviuos on my MRI even I could read it. I went through the same thing as your husband before the MRI though....I finally had the fusion and it was a huge relief. In my case it was later determined that I had a badly damaged shoulder too,and surgery for that eliminated most of my pain.(hooray)So be concerned,because any surgery is a risk,but cervical fusions are a pretty common procedure,and like alot of on this site,he will do fine and get relief from that awful pain! Keep in touch and let us know how he does. Sagehen
  • I had great success with my cervical fusion! It did take me 3 months to fully recover from nerve pain in arm and hand and shoulder(according to my NS, C6 and C7 nerves had been awakened after being compressed for a couple of years), but that is gone, the falls have ended, etc.

All surgery is scarey beforehand and I was terrified of this one, but it was worth it.

Best wishes to you!

• I had fusion just about four months ago. I am already having problems again. I hope your husband's doctor warned him about "adjacent disc disease". Put simply, when you fuse one segment of the spine the discs immediately above and below that level have to bend more, so they wear out faster than they would otherwise.
  • I want to thank everyone for their comments. He doesn't have a date yet for his surgery. Waiting on approval. I feel better knowing other people were having the chest pain. Everything I was reading talked about arm and neck pain. That is what had me worried. He will ask his dr. about ADR. Thanks again. Everyone has been wonderful. I am so thankful I found this site. Karan