Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello all - Herniated Disk - Immobilized 3 weeks now

Terry01TTerry01 Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
About me: I have had minor muscular pain around 30 years and normally a day or 2 of muscle relaxants, rest and exercise fixes and then nothing for years. Had some problems a few years ago which was more severe and resulted in Left Leg sciatic pain but chiropractor brought under control. Unfortunately in country and job that has made gym membership with pool difficult. Recently had bicycle accident and broke both arms (took some Paracetemol for that pain relief as thought had a reasonable pain threshold). When near full recovery from the broken arms, wife (of 16 years =(( ) left and my back started to give problems. Started back treatment by physiotherapist then saw doctor. A few days later (over weekend) standing or sitting for a few seconds results in incredible pain so went to Hospital Emergency (stronger medicine given), pushed for MRI and doctor again upgraded medication to OxyContil (3 changes / upgrades of medication over period of a week). Never had this much pain and would prefer to break arms again rather than this.

My quality of life according to http://www.theacpa.org/documents/Quality_of_Life_Scale.pdf is 1 (and found link on spine-health) as have lived on couch (too painful to go upstairs) and lay either on left side, back, or stomach. Actually lean over end of couch on stomach to eat (cannot stand to cook so strict diet of microwave meals and oven Pizza’s) and have laptop on floor (working 2+ hours a day which helps get mind off pain). I am now improving (can stand for a few minutes which allows me to manage the 3 minute walk to Doctor or Physiotherapist without people stopping me and asking about the obvious pain). Doctor is liaising with neurologist (together organized OxyContil and full rest) along with physiotherapy. Instructions are to avoid pain so nerves don’t cause muscle spasms and disk has chance to repair. Neurologist will see me almost immediately if improvement stops or get worse (which sounds medically right and comments appriciated). Just hope can improve to point where I can change my lifestyle and get back into a proper exercise program to manage the pain. Level of hope is greater now than week ago.

Thought some of you may appreciate this news story with Attorney Generals comments image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> on the animals taking drugs http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/829742/wallabies-getting-high-in-poppy-fields 8} .

Fiinally thankyou Stephanie Burke and team for the site and all forum contributors (spent many, many hours on site over last 3 weeks) :). The rating of pain being worse than child birth (by some ladies) was enlightening and how some people (especially parents and those with many operations) manage to keep going is inspirational.

Kind Regards and thanks to all Terry01