Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Celebs, Meds, and the Media

ernurseeernurse Posts: 771
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Pain Medications
OK folks, this is NOT a thread to post your opinion of Michael Jackson. If you want that, go make your own thread. I am posting the following link to a news article just as an example of how the media stigmatizes the use of pain medications. This is NOT a debate over whether or not these were actually the drugs that MJ was using. This is what was reported he was using which in the eyes of the ignorant=fact.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196015/Michael-Jacksons-drugs-cocktail-highly-unusual-dangerous.html

I just hate how the media casts such a negative light on pain meds and it reflects on legitimate use. Maybe MJ had legit reasons for his meds(if any, tho I would disagree with Demerol injections) because certainly with all of his dance moves he certainly could have had chronic pain disorders. Who could dance like that and NOT be a spiney?

One thing they also mention is the use of Ritalin. Um, I know chronic pain users who have to use stimulants during the day to stay awake because of their legit dose of pain meds. How are some to have any kind of quality of life if they can't stay awake?

I guess this is just more of a post about how I hate the media and how the media controls society's opinions. It just makes it tougher for chronic pain users to get needed meds as well as how they are looked at by other people.
advertisement

Comments

• If the post is not about Michael Jackson,then why do you have a link with his meds listed on it?Is this just another thread to slam Michael Jackson?
  • This article is a testament to Howard Hughes' pain and how he could even maybe be considered a "pioneer" in terms of long-term treatment for intractible pain. Either he or his aids kept a 2 year log documenting his medication, dosage, and his activities.

Not to mention the amount of PAIN this man surely suffered on a daily basis.

There is not much information during his life time documenting the effects long term opiod use would have on a person's organs. But the autopsy findings indicate analysis of his brain, adrenals, liver etc were NORMAL.

In fact, most of his legendary accomplishments occurred AFTER he began regular high dose opiod use in 1946 (after his plane crash), further indicating that individuals tolerant to daily,high doses of opiod medication function quite well physically, mentally and socially. Also, it states that uncontrolled or poorly controlled intractable pain is well-known to cause a person to be in a bed- or house-bound state. The report is unable to correlate any positive or negative affects his pain or treatment drugs may have had on Hughes' well-known obsessive, compulsive, and eccentric traits, other than his obsessive need to be surrounded by kleenex - the two-year daily log had no mention of hallucinations or delusions. In fact, Hughes' traits may have "BEEN OVERBLOWN IN THE PRESS". His physicians all agreed he was eccentric and irascible, but never hallucinated or exhibited psychotic behavior.

One of the aspects that may have helped Hughes live over 30 years with CP/IP may have been the fact that he had highly credentialed and highly trained phsycians who provided regular medical attention and consultation during this 30 year period. 30 years. Man. That's a long time to live with pain. But I am comforted to know that it can be done. The article has several tables in it outlining what his diagnoses were, and the effects medication had on his organs.

ALSO - and this is important... His treating physician, in a press statement, described Hughes as "The Man of Steel". This will-to-live or lust-for-life attitude must have been a foundation for his 30-year survival rate.

So, to recap - medication, good. Regular doctor visits (PM) and healthy life style, very important. Positive Attitude, necessary.

It's a long article. If you are interested in reading it, here is the link:

http://pain-topics.org/pdf/HowardHughesPseudoaddict.pdf

• bigcat90 said:
    If the post is not about Michael Jackson,then why do you have a link with his meds listed on it?Is this just another thread to slam Michael Jackson?

Bigcat-I have no desire to slam Michael Jackson. Like I said in my post, go start your own thread if you want that. I don't care really if Michael Jackson smoked opium and injected heroin, what I care about is how this type of article affects MY ability to get meds and MY credibility. We don't even know that these are his meds, as I said, this is just what the media is reporting before the autopsy findings were out!

The post has a link to his meds because many are ones that WE take and do not seem to be that big of a deal to me(except, as I said, Demerol injections.) The link is to show how the media is jumping on the meds he was reported to be taking and how they really aren't a big deal in the realms of chronic pain to me. Again, I said the point was to show how the media influences public opinion. The link shows pictures of the med packages-I think that's another example of the media sensationalizing pain meds.

I happen to be very saddened by MJ's death. Read my post again, I DO NOT want people slamming him in my thread. The article could have been about any famous person and I would have posted the link to show how the media dramatizes things just to sell a story and it hurts all legit chronic pain sufferers. This is the only post I will make in response to this question.
  • Why do you object to demerol injections?

Is it because it uses a needle? Does that make it evil somehow?

I have to say that if it is the med that works for some people is that really any different than a pill, or a patch? What about suppositories? are those bad to?

My point here is that if a medication works and is truly needed the means of administering it should not change the perception of the drug.

I can't remember who, but I have seen mention of others needing to use demerol by injection for pain control.

We should be above the general media here and not label anyone for taking meds they may truly need.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    It sort of goes hand and hand with today's celebrities, sport figures, etc. Many times these folks think they are above the law because of the position and financial situation they are in.
    You could start listing some of these people and then reading their stories.
    Then the media jumps in and can take what should be an every day situation and creates front pages.
    These people are still people, like you and me, the major difference is that they are in the limelight and have all the money they could ever want for.
    Many of them I feel sorry and pity for.
    But sometimes thats the price they pay for being who they are. I do wish at times, that the press would not jump on these situations just to sell papers.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Wrambler said:
    Why do you object to demerol injections?

Is it because it uses a needle? Does that make it evil somehow?

I have to say that if it is the med that works for some people is that really any different than a pill, or a patch? What about suppositories? are those bad to?

My point here is that if a medication works and is truly needed the means of administering it should not change the perception of the drug.

I can't remember who, but I have seen mention of others needing to use demerol by injection for pain control.

We should be above the general media here and not label anyone for taking meds they may truly need.
    Wramber-the reasons I object to Demerol injections(especially on a regular basis) are that there are many better meds out there. Demerol is known for rebound pain. Demerol also has a faster rate of tolerance by the user(I differentiate tolerance, dependence, and addiction) and therefore requires higher dose needs more quickly. I do NOT believe this about all chronic pain patients, but I have taken care of many chronic pain patients with true disease(I say this becuz we have medical proof that they do need meds) who say, "Push the Demerol(IV) real fast for me" rather than over 2-5 minutes because they like the high they get with 300mg of Demerol. Long term use of Demerol has been linked more strongly to bowel obstructions than other potent pain meds. Many other things.

I see no prob with an injectable drug, needles do not make a drug bad. I just don't think Demerol injections on a regular basis are the best option. If someone had an acute pain episode and got a Demerol injection in the ER and it helped, good for them. Good luck getting it in an ER because it is being removed from many ER's around the country because it is not a good choice. Other injectable medications are replacing it more and more, for example, Dilaudid.

Yes, Demerol can be a strong painkiller but my objections relate to it not being a good long term drug, not because it is an injectable drug. And yes, I have seen several people on these boards that get injections of it. But the usual bunch of chronic pain folks don't seem to list it. The other drugs listed in that article were ones pretty common and not so different than what I see here.
  • Seems like good good science to me, just wondered why you had ruled it out as being acceptable.
  • Sorry, got a little long winded in my reply! :) I truly think there are better options than Demerol and it's consequences and it's being phased out of so many ER's because of the troubles. I hope you aren't someone who depends on this drug, if so, you might want to investigate other options before it gets even more limited(including pills of it.) Take care, I hope your SCS continues working for you!

Angie
  • What I find disturbing is that MJ may have had access to Diprivan (very strong medication)and he asked for it by name. Same situation with Anna Nicole Smith and her "pick up the phone" and get what ever she wanted.

I have a legitimate reason for pain medication and I get the third friggin degree from the pharmacy when I go to pick it up.

Instead of the FDA spending millions of dollars studying Tylenol, why don't they beef up enforcement of the laws they have on the books now.

Maybe Hollywood or the entertainment industry should submit to drug testing just as every professional sport must do or an applicant looking for a job must do.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Some distinction needs to be made between when these medications are prescribed under supervision or acquired for whatever reason, they were never intended to be used without thought or due process. Overuse in itself would make that individual culpable and more reflective of the inner turmoil than acceptable usage. It is the press who are looking to make a story as the clock was ticking and continuance of unsubstantiated reporting just continued as normal.

We should not equate our situation of medication use extrapolated from prescribed excess or availability as our norm and curtailment as a consequence. All usage has parameters and we more than others know and understand the consequence of reaching that volume and the dangers within.

Time may give some clarity and even without a pre-existing condition every tablet comes with an implied, if not written symptom of associated risk. If we give credence to the hype then we do ourselves a disservice in that we are perceived as similar, we are not.

Everyone should try to understand and if the remnants of this sad event are just that, then some progress has been made.

Take care, still BAD !

John

advertisement