Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

May I Go To Gym With Discus Hernia?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi to all on this forum! I was very happy when I found this site, since it has a lot of valuable information for discus hernia.

I would extremely appreciate if anyone could give me an advice with the following. I am 28 years old and have discus hernia L5-S1 (protrusions on both sides - left and right). About two months ago I started going to a gym, but I avoid certain exercises, like squads, and all other exercices done in upright position. Paralell to this, I also do exercises for strengthening core muscles, as well as aerobic exercises (I drive a bicycle - MTB). What is your opinion, may I go to the gym with this problem?

Should I avoid doing dips? And do you know which exercices I should avoid for sure?

Kind regards!

• Good question, but unfortunately it's one that should really only be answered by your doctors.

However, I will give you what *my* experience has been. I've had pain for years, and now diagnosed as having a lumbar herniation (in addition to a list of other issues). I was a swimmer and dancer growing up, and before pain kicked in hard I would use elliptical and rowing machines in addition to yoga classes.

It has been suggested that I only swim, do pilates if possible (yoga can be problematic, especially if you have hyperflexibility), and do very, very light elliptical running only when feeling great. Swimming reduces stress on the body, which is why it is both therapeutic and helpful. But again- be sure to work off what your doctor tells you.

Good luck!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Jeauxbert, Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    I am assuming that you have already been to a doctor and had your MRI reports read. What did the doctor tell in terms of corrective actions?
    Were they leaning more towards conservative treatments or surgery?

I agree with ibivy, you need to discuss this with your doctor and make sure they understand what you would like to do and what are the implications.

There are number of exercises that Lumbar, Cervical and/or Thoracic patients can do, but those are set up for each individual.

You do not want to create any new problems or worsen what you have... Check with your doctor before going into the gym
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • ibivy and dilauro,

thank you very much for your advices.

Kind regards.
  • Are you lifting weights?
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
This discussion has been closed.