Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi All,
I thank you in advance for reading this & helping me.
I have three herniated disks, L3, L4, L5, & spinal stenosis. I am having three microdiscectomies along w/ three microlaminotomies done in about two weeks. I've had rotator cuff surgery, miniscus knee surgery, etc. but this one is starting to scare the hell out of me. I am deeply worried about post-op pain & my ability to function afterwards even though the surgeons are using minimally invasive techniques. I've been on percocet for months and am deeply concerned that the pain killers won't work well after surgery as my body has naturally built up some tolerance at this point.
Has anyone out there had a similar surgery? And what can I expect re: post-op pain? Should I buy a recliner?
Please help me,
Terrified Greg

• Hi and welcome! I'm so sorry for your pain! I would just like to say that there are many here that will share of their experiences, and we are all here to listen and lend support, so ask away!

Regarding surgery: Try to stay focused on things you love, and don't dwell! What comes, comes. If you are satisfied that this is the correct course for you, and you trust your doctor, there is really nothing to be worried about.

MEDS: I took pain meds for many years before my surgery, but they should understand that you will need more after surgery until you are on the way to recovery, so don't fear! If you have problems (with ANYTHING, not JUST meds) after surgery, make sure you talk to your surgeon! :-C

You should also check out the post-surgical must-haves, there are some real life-savers in there, and I always like to add my personal favorite: Soap-on-a-rope (if you can't find any, be sure to have a few in the shower, because if not, you will inevitably drop one! =)) (you really don't realize how often you drop things until you aren't able or allowed to pick them up!

I hope this helps a little bit, I'm sure there are others out there that will add to this.

Be well!

• Thanks so much for your advice, 'soap on a rope', great idea. Any other must haves I could benefit from?
  • I just posted my second update to my Minimally Invasive surgery on the back surgery board if you want to read it.