Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Research

davedave Posts: 860
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
I am in the process of researching if an SCS is a possible solution to my current pain problems in my legs. My doctor has recently breached the subject with me and I expect to discuss this further at our next appointment in August. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn more from others who have an SCS with similar symptoms to mine.

My signature indicates the number of surgeries that I have had to include a link to my fusion recovery blog. My current state is as follows:

Pain: 90% Leg / 10% Back

Back: Minor burn around L4/L5 area sometimes.
Legs: R Big Toe is numb and minor cramping and burning in two toes next to the big toe. Top of foot is basically on fire most of the time extending to about 3-4 inches below the knee and the outside of the calf. Pain levels in this leg average from a 1-2 in the morning to a comfortable 3-4 at the end of the day with out pain meds.

L Foot is partially numb from the arch forward and all five toes. There is some minor burning in the toes sometimes but rarely. My left ankle and parts of my calf are partially numb. The symptoms in this leg are a mirror image of the right leg plus someone was kind enough to insert a wire and heat it up to a million degrees in my calf. Pain levels in this leg average from a 2-3 in the morning to 4-5 at the end of the day with out pain meds. There have been times that the hot wire has reached higher pain levels of a 7 or 8 if not managed appropriately.

I also experience muscle spasms and cramps in both legs 24/7.

Unfortunately, I've been striking out on taking the nerve drugs (Lyrica, Cymbalta, Neuronton). I am currently taking a new one, which the name escapes me right now which is not a good sign. I currently live on 30mg of oxycodone and zanaflex a day to manage a normal existence. My pain levels sit are around a 1-3 with a grey existence.

I go to work every day. I do what I want, when I want, no matter what. I do however lose sleep and I'm very tired. In comparison to others, I don't seem to be real bad off, but I'm also not living life on my terms anymore. I'd like to recapture some of my focus and get off the narcotics or at least decrease them enough to make the grey go away.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts from those who have previously traveled in my shoes.

• October '08 I was inplanted w/ the ANS (Advanced Neuromodulation System) same as SCS...it is a spine stimulator. I am the first case srudy in ARKANSAS with this particular set up.
    I have a dual stimulator that controls my back and leg pain both!!! I would have to say it is GREAT!!!! I am not saying I am 100% back to the old me but I am able to live life!!
    I went from being down 24/7 and so heavily medicated to rarely popping a muscle relaxer!! THAT IS A MIRACLE!!
    I have had 2 surgeries so far on this unit alone...1st--the install...2nd--replaced a lead with a hole in it!!The second surgery obviously wasn't forseen but had to be done to remove that faulty wire and replace it with a new one.
    I recently started having an issue with the "BATTERY" in my bum...it has migrated/dislodged from the original install and I have lost weight that may have contributed to the move??!!???
    I am currently awaiting surgery #6 to remove this LARGER ANS battery and install the ANS EON MINI!!! The current battery is HUGE!! About 2" x 2" x 3/4" thick....not small at all...the new one will be 1/2 that size.
    In my own personal opinion....GO FOR IT!!! Wish you luck in your decision and I hope u can find a peace of mind about the whole thing!! GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!!
  • certainly seem to be the kind that could helped by a spinal cord stimulator viz, nerve pain in legs. There are many of us here who have stimulators with varying degrees or relief. I suggest you type "spinal cord stimulator" in the SEARCH area and you will find many, many discussions of this topic. Susan (My stim is the ANS Eon Mini with paddle leads installed early April of this year.)
  • I say...go for the stimulator!
    On the 4th. of this month(June) I had my permanent SCS implant and am very happy with it.
    Remember Dave....it is NOT a cure. What you do is trade one sensation(pain) for another sensation(tingling). With the stimulator it is hoped you will be able to reduce the amount of pain medication you are currently taking.
    I have savage pain in my feet and legs below my knees. The stimulator has reduced my leg pain by 90%( i noticed yesterday some leg pain was breaking thru) and my foot pain by 60%. I still take narcotics for my pain but in a much lower dose than I was. Could I manage without the pain meds? NO I could not!! But with the stimulator and the meds I have my life back!!
    Best of luck to you Dave....
    Patsy W
  • Patsy,

Do you mind me asking what type of pain do you have in your legs? I'm aware that everyone is different, but I'm also trying to gauge where I stand in comparison to others.

• The pain in my feet and legs is caused by nerve damage in my Lumbar spine...L4& L5
    The best way I can describe my leg pain is like they have Ace bandages wrapped around them as tight as you can wrap it. My foot pain burns and throbs. I have no shooting pain. The pain down the front of my legs and the tops of my feet seems worse. I can't stand anything tight around my anckles or across the tops of my feet such as socks or lace up shoes.
    The stimulator has helped that pain but I still have a lot of pain on the soles and sides of my feet. It feels like I am walking on sharp stones barefoot. I depend on naecotics and my implant to control my pain.
    Hope this poor description help you.
    Patsy W
  • Patsy,

Thank you for your candor. As you can can tell in my above descriptions of my pain levels, they're not overly high. I struggle with how I should proceed when I read of others who are in so much more worse shape than I. I do understand about not wanting anything touching my legs. When I arrive at work every day, I close my door and take my pants, socks, and shoes off, and put on a pair of shorts to wear while I'm in my office. It's rather inconvenient, cause when ever I have to go anywhere, I have to get dressed again. It's become a running joke in my office to knock and ask if I'm decent, prior to entering.

You're Ace bandage feeling is more like a tightness inside my legs for me. I do get the burning pain but it has never throbbed for me. The burn is more of a sting in its milder stages, much like a severe sun burn.

• The SCS is an experience unto itself, it is mostly reported that a buzzing,tingling sensation is felt when the unit is blocking pain. But, there are many levels of settings and each individual is different.

You really need to experience a trial to have an idea as to if it is going to help you, if you can and will accept the sensations. Remember it can always be turned off by you at any time.

The biggest risk is infection. It is not a cure it is simply a treatment. Many people that report your type of pain do very well with an SCS. Mine is for shoulder pain and currently I need some programming work to see if I can get better coverage.

There are a LOT of posts to be found searching under SCS.
  • I too use spinal cord stimulation to help with pain. I agree with my friends here. You need a trial to determine if the SCS is right for you. The trial is very easy and will give you the opportunity to "test drive" the system. Most patients have to have a psych. evaluation before proceeding with the SCS. I was not required to have that. I believe they are looking for depression. Have you talked to your doctor about the "grey" feeling? Pain does have a way of making us feel down. Also, like Wrambler said, not everyone likes the sensation of stimulation. It does not bother me. During the trial If you have a 50% reduction in your pain it will be considered successful. Some people have way more relief. Look at Patsy. She is doing great. Extremity pain is usually helped a great deal. My arm pain is reduced about 80%. My shoulder blade pain is not helped at all. Some of my head pain is covered. (I need further programming)
    I have severe muscle spasms and the SCS does not help me with those. I will probably always need to take medication to help with that. The permanent surgery is not easy. The recovery takes a long time and things can go wrong. However, I am happy to have my two SCS implants. They are helping me have a better quality of life.
    I wish you all the best!

• I've read the majority of the past posts already. I've been a member of SH for a very long time, dating back several versions of the forum.

Melissa, the grey feeling that I get is what the prescriptions do to my thinking. They slow everything down like a rainy day in your head. I use my head to make a living, so needless to say the scripts get in the way sometimes. I'm actually a fairly happy go lucky guy. Just fallin a part at the seams.

• You had read the posts, so I can only add you have nothing left to do but decide.

Is it worth the trial to see if it will work for you?

Once you get past that you can decide if the results of the trial warrant the permanent version.

Even though I currently do not have the coverage I need. I do not regret going forward with the permanent. I may be just an adjustment away from relief again. Maybe not. That is the chance we all take.

I go in on Thursday to see my PM. I hope they can get things "better"...
  • am going to be honest with you, Dave. Here is what you wrote:

"I go to work every day. I do what I want, when I want, no matter what."

If you report pain levels of 2-3 on an average day AND you can work, and a 4 withOUT any meds??? I would NOT pursue the SCS. Your current pain regimen is EXCELLENT. As already suggested, I would seek info on your "grey" feeling, as it could be light depression.

Even though people have been told over and over that this is NOT a cure, and that med use will more than likely still be the case, some people do not hear that or believe it or something (not sure) and find themselves unhappy with the SCS. This should be a last resort situation - when there is NOTHING else that is working.

In my case, I have permanent S1 nerve damage and I would describe the pain as this: 24/7 mind-numbing, burning butt to toe pain that never stops. Had to stay reclined 23 hours a day in FULL recline, only getting up to eat and pee. On major meds, the lowest pain level I ever felt was a 5 out of 10 and that was if I did nothing nothing nothing. Were I to have to go to a doctor's appointment, then I was at an 8. Period. There was nothing that helped. That pain didn't come and go, it was constant. Additionally, my feet are partially numb over 2/3 of the foot, making me have serious balance issues along with not feeling things like pavement changes. I fall easily.

I had tried meds, injections, selective nerve root blocks, physical therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, meditation, even Reiki! I had 3 surgeries in 12 months, 2 of them fusions and ended with a 360 fusion with full hardware which finally did stabilize my back. But the entire time, even before all 3 surgeries, I had permanent nerve damage (we now realize). Because my nerve damage is permanent, there is no cure and nothing to be done. I was intolerant to all of the nerve meds - Neurontin, Lyrica, and Cymbalta and could not take them at all - was in a walking coma. I did not want to take more and more narcotic medications because it altered my awareness.....it took "me" away. With the SCS, I am still on my long-acting dose that I was before, but I rarely take any BT meds OR muscle relaxers. Only when I go on a trip or do too much do I need more than my LA meds.

I spent my days fully reclined and praying for relief. I went into the SCS highly positive after researching for over a year, reading positive and negative testimonials. I had to endure a 5 hour psych evaluation that left me taking a 567 question test (MMPI 2) on my back on a hard concrete floor holding the test over my head to block the light. I was in tears and could barely see to even color in the dots. The 30 minute interview portion with the doctor did me in and my back would only take about 10 minutes in the office type chair at the desk provided taking this test. I was beside myself in unbearable pain and literally ended up on the hard concrete floor (which caused it's own pain) until the psych doc walked by and saw me, and brought me a pillow for my head.

When I was done, I could barely get up off the floor and had a breakdown in the car when hubby got me out of the office. I am a young 43, darn it, I have so much energy and so much love.......why does my body have to hold me back? The S1 nerve sits right at the low back - sitting is a major trigger, which is why I had to stay reclined. That test should have only taken no more than 2 hours. But with me laying on the floor, it was almost 5 hours for me. Pure Torture.

This was a description of my attempt to do ANYTHING beyond staying full reclined in my chair. I was in BAD shape BUT, as I told the doc, if my S1 nerve could be stripped out (and I still could walk!) I KNEW that Cheri would be back. (That is not an option, btw, with motor nerves, I was just trying to make a point.) The only thing holding me back was that permanent nerve damage of ONE nerve. Everything else was good - my mind, my motivation, my personality, my happiness, my belief that I would get better somehow........and it was the truth. My glass has always been half-full, not half-empty.

I had no other options. I KNEW the SCS was my answer. I KNEW it was not a cure, I knew it was going to be a supplement to help me with the pain, and I was fine if I stayed on all meds. I did not have any unrealistic expectations at all. And I have been thrilled beyond belief with my experience.

Yet others may say - well, how is that? You still take meds, you still don't bend, lift or twist, and now that I am so active (taking trips for 8 hours, going wherever I want, no problems), now I have back pain I never had. This back pain gets NO relief from my SCS, although I do have 2 leads in my back. But I don't care AT ALL. Why? Well, for the back pain, if I just take it easy, the back pain lessens. But instead of feeling that awful burning nerve pain, I feel buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    all day long, 24 hours a day. And Dave, that buzz feeling is simply sent by God to me. I never turn it off. When I do, within a few hours, I have full on burning nerve pain again. My remote control never leaves my side. I feel utterly and totally blessed to have been given this opportunity. I thought I might go mentally insane with that pain. There is just so much a person can tolerate, you know?

But again, if I could work and if my pain levels were well-controlled with medication that I could see 1-3?? I would not find it time to try the SCS. If the SCS were to remove 50% of your pain, then you'd be at a .5 to 2?? See what I mean? You already have very low pain levels compared to what it could be. I hope that doesn't offend you. You are actually very lucky and I am thrilled you are still able to do everything you want and most importantly, work if you choose.

Hope I answered some of your questions fully enough. If not, just let me know.

Take care,

P.S. For the back pain, I use a product called Imflamyar (used by Lance Armstrong!) and it is wonderful. It even does take some nerve pain away as well if I rub it deeply into my buttock. I got it through a Naturopathic Doctor but have seen it online.

• Cherish I haven't seen anywhere if you ever had a TENS unit. If you have, how would you describe the difference, if any, compared to the SCS? I mean the bzzzzzzzzzzzzz... feeling. LOL
    Actually my PM told me my only option left if the Savella doesn't work is the SCS. I'm nervous about having anything permantly mounted inside my body that buzzezzz. Of course I would have the trial, but it kinda sounded if you get the temp you get the perm. My TENS I think only distracts me for a very short amount of time only cuz I get numbbutt. Thanks in advance for any help you might have. marla
  • Cheri,

You gave me a lot to chew on, and I thank you for the information. However, I would like to clarify a few things:
    cherish22 said:

"I go to work every day. I do what I want, when I want, no matter what."
    My back surgeries have supposedly corrected any mechanical defects in my back. My problem is the L5 nerve root exiting to the R and L around the L4/L5 area. It does not matter if I do any of the following:

- Sit (Pain)
    - Stand (Pain)
    - Walk (Pain)
    - Run (Ok, got me here, don't do this one)
    - Work (Pain)
    - Play (Pain)
    - Yard Work (Pain)

Do you see a theme here? It doesn't matter what I do, so why restrict my life. The L5 nerve has only one rest position that I know of. It requires me to lay on my side in my bed with my legs in a weird position. This is how I sleep, but I refuse to spend the rest of my life in this position to be relatively pain free.
    cherish22 said:

If you report pain levels of 2-3 on an average day AND you can work, and a 4 withOUT any meds???
    To be totally honest, I have only gone 1 time in the last 6 months without any prescriptions so my estimates are basically guesses. I still think they're pretty accurate, because the one time I did go beyond the normal time I would take something I did experience pain levels around an 8. Of course that day had also been an action packed day of activities. I am very proactive in managing my pain so I can function. Pain meds do not make you pain free, they only help you manage a better existence.

As for "AND you can work", I do so to provide for my family. What would you have me do, lay in bed all day feeling sorry for myself? I went back to work within 2-3 weeks of all my surgeries no matter how I felt. I have a mortgage, bills, and a family to provide for. I found this comment to be very offensive.
    cherish22 said:

I would seek info on your "grey" feeling, as it could be light depression.
    I did not want to take more and more narcotic medications because it altered my awareness.....it took "me" away
    When I mention the grey, it's sort of what you're "took me away" turns into long term. It's very hard to describe. It's not depression, trust me on that. It's just a way that the oxy does to your thought process, it clouds your thinking (very hard to put into words).

Sorry to here about the numb feet. I only have the left foot numb (L5 nerve root damage 7 years ago) and its a feeling I've never gotten used to. I don't know about both feet, but I was able to compensate for the loss of sensation after several years.

• i too am researching it.
    Why not get the trial to see how it feels. if it works on the trial then go for the permanent insert.
    read all info on this site...just type scs in search field
    good luck....hope it works for you
  • Pete,

Thanks. I was just trying to respond to a couple of the responses left for me. I wish I had taken the opportunity to discuss this subject with my Father In-law who passed a way a couple months ago. I know it worked really well for him. He had an SCS for the same problem area (oh and Chari, HE WORKED). We never really talked about that stuff. Hind sight is 20/20.

The biggest problem he had was, last year he could not find a hospital willing to replace the battery under Medicare Insurance. Something to think about.

• Hi Dave,
    I understand that you feel a low level of pain in the morning (1-2) and by the end of the day you can get up to a 4. Everyone is different in the levels of pain they can tolerate. These levels might seem good to some people. You are the only one that can determine what level of pain is acceptable to you. Have you considered trying a long acting medication? My sister is on the patch and she has a very full life. She is almost never in any pain. No one would ever guess she is medicated. She feels great. My PM doctor does not want to give me the patch. He believes that the patch may be an option in the years ahead, but not now. I have been in pain for 5 years and I have never had a pain level below a 4. I have two permanent SCS's and I take medication. A good day for me is around a 5. However, I would be at a 10 without my SCS's and meds. You might be pain free if you get the SCS. That does happen for some people. I hope you decide to go for the trial. It can't hurt and it may allow you to reduce your meds. Maybe you won't even need the meds. Please take care and let us know what you decide.

• Cherish, thank you so much for such an awesome & eye opening description of your pain levels. You really gave some effort in your response to fuel some internal questions on the subject.

Dave, man...I'm "so" with you on this. If there's something that can help with pain that isn't in pill (body destroying) form...go for it. I hate the mental-fog crap shrouding my once brilliant mind too. But...Cherish has a good point. You're trying to get rid of the distraction of pain...with a possible more annoying distraction of "buzz" (heh, the wrong kind of buzz too).

Please let me know what ya end up doing.

• Melissa,

The one thing I do not do is make requests or suggestions to my Doctor. He is in charge of my care. Only one time did I request that my dosage be changed and that was down, so I could force myself to manage what I call the "grey" better, which my PM Doctor is aware of.

I solve problems for a living. I spend months analyzing and pouring through information and data, then devising and programming a solution for it. My PM Doctor knows what I do for a living and treads very lightly not to mess with my mind so I can work. At our last appointment, he brought up the subject of the SCS. One can only assume, he knows that I will leave no stone unturned in determining if its something that might be appropriate for me.

It's also possible that once I start taking my new prescription (Topomax) full time, it may provide the edge I've been looking for, I don't know.

• I have one other question. My L leg gives out usually about once a day about noon and then it gets more painful throughout the day and of course continues to give out. My pain level is around a 7 :''( . I’m in retail so I’m on my feet all day. Have any of you heard anyone say if they have relief from this with the SCS? My back starts crunching also after the ole leg goes out and starts to hurt pretty bad. My leg I’m sure will continue to give but if I can get rid of the pain with the SCS (WOW!!) I will call today for an appointment. The doc keeps bringing it up and I procrastinate.
  • I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend with the "you work" comment and I wonder if you mistook my meaning. As I said, I spent 23 hours a day fully reclined. In my "pre-pain" life, I was a hyper, busy, successful real estate agent who also staged homes on the side, moving furniture, decorating homes, etc. That was all taken away from me, even today. There is a level of pain that is reached that prevents working, regardless of financial status. I thank God every day that my husband can provide for us without my contribution.

When you get home every day from work, are you in so much pain that you run for more meds, have to lay down, and it affects the quality of your family time? Those are all details I would use to make your determination.

Some people are housebound, do nothing, and report pain levels of 5 and above. (me, for example, prior to SCS). You are able to get out and work for a living, and that is awesome. With all the activity you do, you report the pain levels you have. If you were had to stay home in a recliner, would your pain levels go down? I'm assuming so.

With my 'new' life of going and doing pretty much whatever I want, I still have pain levels of 4-5!! But it is back pain now, and I know that can be managed once I get home from the trip, rest, etc. If I had no SCS, I would be approaching 9-10 range pain, combining the nerve pain with the back pain from the increased activity. So I remain on my LA meds, occasionally take BT and muscle relaxers and I'm living OK. My mind if "freed" from the torment of the burning nerve pain.

My only point was that many of us could never think of working ever again. Pain for us is so bad it took that all away.

If you have time to search my username in the pain management forum, you can read the long, harrowing story of what happened to me during my SCS trial. It was no walk in the park and left me with post traumatic stress syndrome for a bit. But, I had NO other options and had to push forward (while never allowing that particular doctor to ever touch me again.)

The end result of the SCS is to get 50% reduction in pain or more. With the risks, the procedures, the surgery, the scarring and the implanted IPG (impulse generator), only you can be the one to determine if going through all that would make a huge difference in your life. I hope your SCS trial would be smooth and successful. (There are several of us here on this board this year that certainly wish OUR SCS trials had been smooth and easy, huh Wrangler! lol)

If you haven't tried long-acting meds, then I would definitely try that before the invasiveness of the SCS trial. When I switched to LA meds, it made a huge difference. I was also concerned with what the meds were doing to my personality, my ability to think and function. The LA meds release slowly over 12 hours, giving constant relief. No more "is it time to take a pill" every 4 to 6 hours.

When I was researching, I was looking for honesty and that's what I tried to provide. Please don't let the misunderstanding over the comment color your interpretation of my lengthy and well-intentioned responses. There are many of us who pray that we can return to work some day, but sadly will never be able to. That's all I was saying.

Take care,

• I knew I forgot something. Having the SCS has not been without it's own side effects. I now have bladder and bowel issues that can only be explained by the interference of the buzzing at the nerve root level. I have been through all kinds of lovely tests and at this time, I choose to keep things as they are and just deal with the fact that my bladder no long works on its own. Officially medically declared "dead", but I am able to bear down and empty my bladder without any back pressure at this time, so urologist is happy and there will be no intervention at this time. I am partially numb bowel-wise, as well. Along with the constipation that comes with opioid use, I now have portions of my bowel that are not sensing correctly due to the electrical signals coming from the SCS.

I have also suffered with intense nausea that only let up last month and I could eat very little at one sitting. Since Jan, I have lost 25+ lbs. GI doc, along with all other docs, believes this to be related to the SCS. If you do search GI side effects and SCS, you will see they have happened and in some cases, people had to have them removed. At this point, I am willing to live with these issues to get the life-changing relief I do experience.

I am so thrilled with the SCS I would love to do a commercial about how wonderful it is, but I would never want to mislead others who aren't quite at that stage yet to risk when there might be other things to do first.

And, btw, I just read some of your blog. The pain you report on there is more detailed than what was posted here. Based on the blog description, I am more inclined to recommend you try it. Like you, I like details and love to analyze. From your posts here, it sounded rosier than your blog details. For me, my nerve damage and pain just increased with time. I hope you do not find the same. (I am 2+ years out from my last back surgery.)

Take care,

• MissPiggy, sorry forgot to answer your question about the TENS unit. Yes, I tried one for many months in physical therapy. The pain the TENS unit caused me I cannot describe. The TENS unit stimulates the muscles which I believe triggered my nerve pain. It was pure agony to endure the time with it and I finally begged the PT to let me quit using the TENS. He dismissed me THAT day, realizing that I had severe nerve problems if that was my experience. He did not want to hurt me any further.

If the SCS felt anything like the TENS I would NOT be a fan of it at all. The best way I can describe the ScS is this - Have you ever sat in one of those massage chairs at Sams or the salon? And got your whole body buzzing? Well, the SCS feels like you are a massage chair ON THE INSIDE. You are buzzing (for me, hips to toes) every minute of the day. I cannot believe that no one can feel it by touching me. lol Even though they are teeny tiny electrical signals in the thoracic area, it feels like major buzzing depending on the intensity you set your remote control on.

Hope that helps.

• Cheri,

Another long post and I'll do my best to respond.
    cherish22 said:

When you get home every day from work, are you in so much pain that you run for more meds, have to lay down, and it affects the quality of your family time? Those are all details I would use to make your determination.
    I live a very choreographed life around work and meds Monday through Friday. This is my favorite time cause I know what to expect and when to expect it.
    cherish22 said:

Some people are housebound, do nothing, and report pain levels of 5 and above. (me, for example, prior to SCS). You are able to get out and work for a living, and that is awesome. With all the activity you do, you report the pain levels you have. If you were had to stay home in a recliner, would your pain levels go down? I'm assuming so.
    Staying at home sucks. First off, my leg pain is no different no matter what I do and the more idle I am the muscle spasms in my legs get worse. Eventually, the spasms turn into BACK TO BACK TO BACK TO BACK TO BACK ..... CHARLIE HORSES. Recliner's are no longer my friend since my fusion surgery. I'm at my best either laying down in my bed or just piddling around. I'm a strange bird, just imagine what it must be like to be my Doctor.
    The bottom line is that I'm just gathering information so that when I see my Doctor next month we can have an intelligent discussion on where we need to proceed.
  • Hello my old friend! I think we're about 1 month difference in time from when we got our fusions. I knew you were still having problems but I admire you so much for "forcing" yourself to keep on going. I remember you posting about being so excited going on a field trip with your daughter and a school group. I admire the ability to grin and bear it!!!!

I have a hard time dealing with the fogginess from the meds so I hate taking them, but sometimes they are necessary. I have to say, I have to lay on the couch most of the time, but sometimes I have to put on my big girl panties and do what needs to be done. It hurts like hell, but sometimes, you gotta do it. I'm not listing all my conditions, cuz this post is to you and you know about them I think and it's not a contest, but even with them, I still gotta do some things even though I hurt. My point is that I understand what you are saying about having to work.

I hope you go through with the trial-any chance of reducing meds and giving you better quality of life is worth a trial. A pain level of 1-3 while trying meds? Try tot he trial. If you were at a pain level of 10, you would not be able to even be on the computer(I hate it when people say their pain is a 20 on a 10 scale, but maybe they can't count and I should feel sorry for them?) It doesn't matter what your number is, what matters is that you feel like you could have better quality of life by giving this a try. You certainly have tried many other options.

Please keep me posted, I'm here if you need something!

This discussion has been closed.