Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

middle back pain when sleeping

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi everyone,

My name is Shane and I just joined this site today hoping for some answers...or at least the advice of others who share or have shared my pain. I am a 33 year old male who works out regularly and eats pretty well. My workouts range anywhere from lifting weights to running and I have been quite active for most of my life. I have never smoked and I drink alcohol moderately (maybe 2-3 times a month).
For the last month of so I have been waking up every morning with a dull aching middle back pain that is so intense that I feel the pressure on my entire back/trunk area. I try and ignore it but the dull pain is too much. Within maybe 15 minutes of getting out of bed, the pain is gone and I can get on with my day. I work at a desk all day and tend to hunch sometimes but this is the first time in 5 years of working this way that I have experienced this pain while sleeping. Thinking that maybe it was the result of an old bed, I went out and bought a very good semi firm mattress about a week ago. Unfortunately, the result did not changed. Possibly unrelated, I have also been experiencing a sharp electric pain in the palm of my hand when I stretch out for things while my hand is in a cupping or grabbing shape. I don't believe this is related but I wanted to mention it. The electric pain has been present for about a week now.

If anyone can help shed some light on what I may be experiencing here I would greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,

• Hi!
    To avoid further complications; start sleeping on a hard surface.
  • Go and see your doc soon and see what issuesd may be present, a little money now will save you much in the future, working out? deadlifts? arched back? or maybe picking up the bells or plates at the wrong angle can do it to. good luck!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Shane:

You say that you regularly workout. It is possible that you damaged or "stressed" a disc in the thoracic area by lifting too much weight, or lifting incorrectly. You don't mention any accident or sudden injury that you can relate to your pain so consider an injury from workout as a possibility. Also, because of your neck and upper back posture during most of the day at work, you may have put pressure or stress on the vertebrae and then the potential for damage was greater and the workout created the actual injury.
    I am not a doctor, but I suffer mid back pain, just as you describe, from my thoracic vertebrae herniation. It is quite difficult to herniate these discs because of their stability(ribcage) but damage is possible. I would definitely seek medical advice/testing, especially since you also report numbness. Good luck, and feel better

Watertech 45