Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post L5-S1 Laminectomy/disecectomy/decompression

Nancy Louise JonesNNancy Louise Jones Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My info is below. I haven't posted in awhile for various reasons, but I wanted to let all of you know...newbies, recent surgery folks, and all else that I'm doing really well these days. I had that awful, yukky, horrible sciatic nerve pain return 13 days post surgery, and now it seems (at least for the past couple of days) to have been alleviated. I kind of thought that it would never be entirely gone...I maybe thought the docs saying it takes a long time for nerves to heal was just an excuse to get me out the door and off the phone. Maybe not! I'm feeling pretty good, pretty damn good. When I wake up at night, the first thing I think is, "How does the nerve feel?". The past couple of nights the answer has been, "What nerve?". So, there is hope for all. I'm, what? Almost 4 months post surgery, and it wasn't even fusion, and I'm just now thinking that I'll be okay. So...patience. Not one of my strong suits, definitely not. Do what the docs tell you, no more, no less; be kind to yourselves and don't lose hope. xoxoxo
advertisement

Comments

• Nancy, I'm so glad you are looking directly at that light at the end of the tunnel! Sounds like you may need to put on some sunglasses soon! B)

To continued patience and healing. <:P
  • Your post is so timely. I've been going on about how great I've felt and everything and then today after my walk it all started coming back. Hip,leg, knee all the way to my foot. I was in tears when my husband came home from work. I have my first follow up Wed since my surgery was just on the 18th. It's so hard some times thinking just how long a process this is going to be when there is so much I want to do but I have to live with this back for a long time and I don't want to screw it up. On the bright side, although I do feel the old pain again, it is no where near as bad as it was prior to the surgery. Thank you again so much for your words of wisdom and experience.

Jennifer
  • waves75 said:
    Your post is so timely. I've been going on about how great I've felt and everything and then today after my walk it all started coming back. Hip,leg, knee all the way to my foot.
    I had a Laminectomy/Disecectomy done from L3 through S1 on November 17, 2008. The first few weeks of recovery were very difficult for me, as I was very active. As my nerves began to heal, the pain in every part of my lower body slowly started to go away.

I had to learn my limitations, and move forward from there. It sounds like you reached a limitation after your walk. It happens, but you now know what you can do and can take it from there.

I still get reminded of my limitations, but only after I do something stupid and forget I had back surgery.
    waves75 said:
    I was in tears when my husband came home from work. I have my first follow up Wed since my surgery was just on the 18th. It's so hard some times thinking just how long a process this is going to be when there is so much I want to do but I have to live with this back for a long time and I don't want to screw it up. On the bright side, although I do feel the old pain again, it is no where near as bad as it was prior to the surgery. Thank you again so much for your words of wisdom and experience.

Jennifer
    Jennifer, unfortunately there will be bad days. And it appears at times things will never get better. But over time and through the healing process, the bad days start being replaced by good days. Eventually there are nothing but good days, and the occasional bad time when you do something stupid to your body and it lets you know.

Since November, I went from not being able to pick up a cup of coffee, to being able to lift 50+ pounds again. I still have a hard time riding my bike (there are no paved roads where I live), but each time I try I get a little further than the last time.

I still have problems with rotating my trunk, but again over time it is getting easier to twist. Will I ever be 100% normal again? That is debatable, but for the first time in years I am now better than 90% pain free. With of course the exception of exceeding my limitations. Here is hoping this period lasts. :)

Give it time, and do your best to not try to be "normal" right away. It is easier said than done.

Best wishes, and hope you have a pain free day.

Curt
    View my history for all the gory details.