Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

am i stupid ?

shirleysshirley Posts: 201
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
on fri my gp (i live in the uk) told me i have osteoarthritis of L4/L5 and he gave me naproxen 500mg to be taken morn and night. i also have ddd and spondylolisthesis l5s1, and scheuermann's type changes at thoraco-lumbar junction. I was in shock as hospital has not mentioned it ? i rang arthritis helpline and he said ddd is the same as osteoarthritis!!!!! is this right ? i know some of the words my hosp uses do not mean the same as wording on this site. im confused, is this the same thing or have i got something else going on ?
also take dihydrocodeine 2 three times a day, amitriptyline 50mg 2 at night and now naproxen, the pain is still the same, but i seem to be ok taking naproxen although ive never been able to tolerate other nsaids.
feel very low as im not sure whats going on.
doc never gave me any info just said carry on as i am, should i be reffered to arthritis consultant ?
just feels like docs dont care, i have looked ddd up and osteoarthritis on this site, maybe i am thick but looked like different things to me #o

• Hi Shirley,

Sorry that you're confused and distressed over the osteoarthritis diagnosis. It is easy to get confused about arthritis (have done that!) because the very word implies inflammation ("itis") but from my understanding you can have osteo(bone) arthritis without necessarily having inflammation. Any joint which loses its cartilage cushion is considered arthritic. With DDD, the discs dehydrate and collapse over time, becoming calcified and losing their ability to cushion. This can leave bone rubbing on bone which can cause overgrowth of the bone (osteophytes or spurs) with time.

Hope this makes sense. Maybe somebody else can jump in here and give a better explanation. Anyway, you probably don't have a new problem with your back, it's just the terminology the doctor chose to describe your back problems. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hi Shirley,
    Different Dr's interpret and explain diagnosis differently. I understand your confusion as sometimes all this can be overwhelming. I suffer from severe
    OA throughout my body due to genetics. The best thing that happened is I
    got referred to a Rheumatologist. I started out with Naproxen and eventually was prescribed other meds to control my discomfort. Inchworm shared some good info here also. Try and get a referral or seek out a good Rheumy on your own, I'm sure you will be glad you did. If I can be of any help PM me anytime and I will do my best.
    Take care,
  • thanks inchworm and ranger. will see how things go, dont know when im getting discography, depending on results of that as to whether they will go ahead with fusion.
    everything takes so long. glad ive been signed off work for 4 weeks, dont know if i can go back to work, mind willing body just about had enough x
This discussion has been closed.