Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good Morning All..

I'm new to this forum, but not new to back pain and back surgery. I'd like to tell my story to see if anyone has been in the same boat as I have. I'm at a loss right now as to what to do.

Back in '97 I had my first laminectomy/disecectomy on the L4-L5 level. This held out and I felt great for a few years then in '02 I had a fusion on the S1-L5 level because it was nothing but bone on bone. I had an anterior fusion with cages. At the same time they did a decompression on the L4-L5 level. I felt great..recovery was good. I would have my days, as any person with back trouble would have...but nothing to complain about.

Starting this past fall I starting having back pain again. Pain going down the leg, you know the routine..
While I was having a hard time with my back I must have been walking different and I blew out my knee on the opposite side of my back/leg pain. I ended up having my knee scoped out in May. At this time my back was doing OK.
I was off work for 6 weeks after knee surgery (I work in a kitchen, hard work!) After I went back to work, it took only 2 days for my back to kick in again. The pain and muscle spasms were so bad I was in bed, not able to walk. I woke the next morning and the pain was gone! I went to get up out of bed and almost fell down due to the fact that my leg was totally numb and I now have dropped foot! I went in for an emergency MRI and it shows a hernation at the L4-L5 level pinching the nerve root. My doctor wants to wait 6 weeks from the onset of the dropped foot in hopes it will come back. This will be my 3rd surgery on this level, so he wants to fuse it.

My question is...has anyone had dropped foot that has gone away? I think it is better at times, but my quality of life really sucks right now. I can't do much at all..just sit around because it hurts and takes so much effort to walk a long time. I'm really scared to have another fusion...he did say that I might even have worse dropped foot than I have right now because I have so much scare tissue in there..

I wish there was an easy answer to this!