Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here and in need of help/advise...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone, i am a 44 yr. old female and this is my story. Please bare with me as it is kind of long. I just want to fill you in with as much info. as i can to get the best feed back as far as help and advise.
When i was 10 yrs. old i dove off a pier/dock into water that was too shallow and felt all of my body weight come down on my neck. It was a miracle that i wasn't paralized. Believe it or not, shortly after i was running and playing as if it never happened. Over the rest of my life i've had muscle spasams in the area between my neck and shoulder. They were always so infrequent that i never checked into it.
3 yrs. ago i was at the county fair and did alot of walking and that night woke up with horrible pain in my groin area. This pain was so bad that i couldn't walk (put pressure on that leg)for 5 days. I didn't have insurance of any kind and was in no position financially to be able to afford to pay medical bills. Was told by differnt people that i'd never qualify for medicaid for differnt reasons. So needless to say i didn't get medical treatment for the problem. From then until now i've had problems walking. Still have pain, don't have a full gait, can't walk any distance, have a limp, can't sit or stand for any length of time.
Flash forward to April of this yr. I had sudden pain and pressure in the top of my shoulders, as if someone had a hand on either side and was pressing down with all their weight. I also had a tingly pain and numbness in both arms from my elbows to and including my fingers. Well, i thought i was having a heart attack. I was taken by ambulance to the the E.R. It wasn't a heart attack. I was diagnosed as having cervical degenerative disc disease. It's between c5&c6 also between c6&c7. Since that time i've continued to get the numbness in my arms and fingers. It can last any where from a few seconds to an hr. Because i ended up in the E.R with no insurance they put in an application for medicaid for me and i got it in June. Thank God!
Well as soon as i could i made an appointment with a doctor to find out what was causing the problems with my groin area and not being able to walk correctly. They found that i have a fractured hip (femoral neck fracture.). I've been walking around (or trying to, to the best of my ability) for the last 3 yrs. with a fractured hip! I was sent to a orthopedist and he is sending me for a ct scan to evaluate the age of the fracture. I guess they don't believe that it happened 3 yrs. ago. He also told me that it looks as if it might be healed, but because i didn't get it looked at right away and have continued to walk on it not having full range of motion, it has caused arthritis to set in. I have arthritis in the other hip as well, though apparently unrelated. He said depending as to what the ct scan shows, i may or may not be able to have surgery (putting in pins). Also because of the arthritis there, even with surgery the way i'm able to walk won't change.
I also found out from my DR. that i have osteopenia which is what caused me to have the hip fracture from just walking.

Sooooooo... I have CDD, arthritis in both hips, a femoral neck fracture and osteopenia. I have been a home maker for yrs. and when i did work my jobs were housekeeping and landscaper. Obviously i can no longer do either one of those jobs. I just need to know if i have a good chance of getting SSI? Also what are the steps i should be taking to apply for it? I want to make sure that i do everything correctly so that i have a better chance of winning my case. Any help/ advise would be much appreciated.

• Hello Lavender...

What an interesting story about your hip. Just sorry you had to walk around in pain for 3 years before being able to afford a doctor!

There may be someone here who can help you with your SSI application, I don't know. Nobody here will be able to advise you on your chances of getting awarded SSI, though. That will depend on things that none of us here would be able to determine, sorry.

In any event, glad you found S-H and I hope you stick around and interface with the other members here. Great people...much caring! :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Hello, nice to meet you. Thanks for replying. I guess i aksed the question wrong. What i ment to ask was, with what i have wrong with me, would i fall into a catagory to be eligible to apply for SSI?
  • Keeping in mind that I've never applied for SSI....I don't think there could be a qualifiying "category" of type of illness/injury, whatever you want to call it (don't want you to think you asked the wrong question again, lol). What I'm trying to say is that I think they look at how debilitated a person is, regardless of what caused it, and of course the expert medical opinions to back up your condition as being something which will never improve for you or will continue to get worse, etc.

Hope this helps a little more than my first answer. Maybe you'll hear from somebody on this board who has been awarded SSI. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I guess i was assuming from the different things that i've read here that you needed to fall into a catagory of some sort to even be considered disabled by social security. Was i wrong in assuming that?
  • I see that you posted your history and question in one of the pain forums and that a moderator moved it to the health insurance forum. You should get some answers there but I wanted to say that I was thinking you were applying for permanent disability. It sounds like you're looking for temporary SS income. Anyway, I hope you find the answers you need and I hope we see you in these forums again. :)

• I'm looking to apply for SSI for a permanent diability. What made you think i only wanted it temporarily?
  • I posted a reply to your question and it's not here. Hmmmm....

I misunderstood what you were hoping to apply for. Hopefully you'll get some answers in the insurance forum. Want you to get the help you need! :)

• Why don't you check out the Social Security website for that information, it can answer your question better than anyone else here. We can only tell you from our personal experiences (those of us who are on SSDI/SSI). I don't have no idea whether or not your current condition will qualify you. Like Inchworm was trying to tell you, it depends on how badly the condition has affected your life and your ability to work in ANY job. I know a list exists of what conditions are covered but you are more than likely to find it on the government website. Take care
  • Thank you for the info.
  • I believe that it would help if you obtained an attorney who deals in strictly SSI cases. He would be able to determine whether you would be eligble to get it.

It's a long process and usually you are denied the first time and then it does go through. I definitely would contact an attorney and they do not charge unless you win the case.