Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Degenerative Cervical Retrospondylolisthesis (new to forum)

janhadjjanhad Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have just been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis, herniated discs and retrospondylolisthesis of the cervical spine. I have been experiencing problems with my neck (burning, pins and needles, spasms) which has now encompassed my shoulders, hands and arms. I was only diagnosed in March 2009 and have been trying to find out more about these conditions.

I had a nerve root block injection in May 2009 and have been having physiotherapy, hydrotherapy and have now started acupuncture. I feel confused and let down by my consultant who on my last visit said if I was any older she would recommend decompression and fusion surgery immediately. As I am 48 years old (been having problems with neck for the last 3 years), she said that she wanted to try these therapies first before surgery. Other than that she didnt seem at all concerned. Perhaps I am just another face to her?

At the moment these therapies are not working and my symptoms are now getting a lot worse. I have now started to feel that my legs are very heavy and my toes on my left foot are numb.

Does anyone suffer from these conditions? Feel confused and am fed up with having to take large doses of pain relief on a daily basis. Over the last 2 months the pain has often been horrendous and I would just like to think that there are other people out there who might be fellow sufferers and how have they been treated etc.

I live in Wales, UK, so the treatments offered might be different to the USA etc. Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Regards. Janhad.

• Welcome to Spine-Health...glad you found us. This site is full of information and even fuller with compassionate caring people who are hurting as badly as you describe and yet they reach out to others every day. You'll find encouragement here to keep going on. :)

There are people here who will reassure you that you're never too young to have spinal surgery if you need it (our fearless administrator, to name one). That being said, I don't know how they handle medical care in the UK. Could it be that your health system would not reimburse for this type of surgery at your age?? It surely sounds like you need help now and I hope you can get it. Are you allowed to get a second opinion? Pursue every avenue until you get the help you need and know that we're pulling for you! Hugs.... >:D<

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Hi there. Last year I went to the doc complaining my left arm was numb, tingling & felt bruised. I had an MRI which showed DDD in levels C5-6 & C6-7 in neck. Meaning disks were thinning & causing nerve impendment, which affected my left arm. I went to 3 neurosurgeons and did all sorts of physical therapy, even the spinal injections, to no avail. The 3rd surgeon finally agreed that I was not going to improve & performed surgery. I had a "posterior cervical foraminotomy". He cut the back of my neck & with a tiny drill, he grinded off a little bit of the discs that were causing the pain. I am a 50 yr old woman with a very active lifestyle, and was not going to settle to live my life in pain like I was in for the last year. I am going on 10 weeks post-op & doing awesome. There are so many procedures out today that can work for you too. You must find the right doctor though. He'll do what's right for you. We are all different. I wish you the BEST of LUCK!!!
  • i have tried massage therapy
    i am going to watch image out yoga for neck pain
  • Thanks inchworm for your reply and good advice and apologies for not replying sooner. I lost the website address - must be all the medication!! Am now waiting for an appointment to see my consultant (orthopaedic surgeon) and I will be very adamant that the conservative treatments are not working and that I would really like something doing now - surgery? I will of course try to be calm but assertive.

Its good that there is a website with like-minded people who care about others and it makes you not so isolated.

Again thanks and will keep you informed.