Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy and disectomy is being done

vgearshiftervvgearshifter Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,

I finally saw my new doctor (neurosurgeon) yesterday. He was great!! I go in Aug 12th for a laminectomy and disectomy of L5. He was very honest with me and told me there is a chance my nerves are never going to heal fully. He told me that I should have seen him at least six months ago when my symptoms got worse. Anyways, I am just glad I finally found a doctor that is willing to help me. There is a 50/50 chance that this surgery will or will not help me. I figure that is better odds then causing more damage. I have tried all conservative methods to help my back that were asked of me but for one reason or another they were no good. If I leave it then I believe I am just going to end up worse and who wants that not me. My man went with me and he agreed that this is my last hope to get even a little better. I was very happy reading some of the posts on here about the experiences other people have had with this type of surgery. Thank you for all the support I have received since I joined. If not for all the great people on here I might have given up months ago and just settled for the fact that no doctor was ever going to help me soon.

• Candy,

I had mine done last November from L3 through S1. I was a borderline candidate for a fusion, but the doc wanted to try the clean-up and rotor router job first. So far so good.

Like you, there is still a chance the surgery will fail. But I have to say for the first time in years, I have been 90% pain free most the time, and 100% pain free every now and then. Talk about a blessing.

This site is very supportive, and helped me a lot during my treatment and diagnosis period.

Glad you found a good Dr. I had to fire three of them before I found a good one. I actually interviewed some of his patients and staff. I liked what I heard and the rest, as they say, is history.

Best of luck, and do not try to overdo it right out of surgery. Your strength and mobility will return in it's own good time.

View my history for all the gory details.
  • I am glad your surgery worked and thank you for commenting on my post. You gave me hope that I made the right choice with the surgery. If I can get even 50% less pain and it helps with the nerve symptoms then I will be happier.

I really hope you pain stays away for a long time.

Thanks for the advice on not over doing it right away I will try not to do to much in the beginning.

When could you drive again after the surgery?

• I used a walker the first week after surgery, and was really unable to do much of anything. By the second week I was able to use a cane to get around. I tried driving at the end of the second week. It did take its toll, more so in wearing me out than anything else.

I did bring my wife along just in case though. :)

I felt safe (key point) driving myself towards the end of the 3rd week. By then, most of the "good" drugs from the surgery had been flushed from my system, and I was getting accustomed to my new drugs.

As for overdoing it.. I figured I could help my lovely bride fix Christmas dinner. I picked up a 7 lb ham and attempted to put it in the oven. I got about half way there and had to let her do it. Just bending over with the ham caused pain.

As many people have posted, one of the best things you can do after the surgery is walk. In my case, the more I walked, the better I felt and the better my back felt. Again, just do not over do it. Small steps to find your limitations, and build from there.

Best wishes,

View my history for all the gory details.
  • So driving myself home after 2 or 3 days in hospital could be hard hmmm. Oh well if I have to do it I will just stick to highways so I am home faster lol.

Thank you for all your input with your experience. It is really useful to have some kind of idea what to expect. I know everyone is different but it all helps to give you an idea of what to expect.

I do hope I can walk after surgery even with my cane. There is 3 dogs here that would love to walk in the woods with me on the farm. Even if at first it is only our behind the house for the first few days or weeks that is better then nothing.

Thanks again and take care,

My surgery date has been changed to July 13th now. Woohoo!!!
  • Thats so awesome you get to "go in" sooner. What a relief. I know you have been waiting a while for this surgery and I hope for 1 that you don't get 50% releif, I hope you get 100% releif. Ski
  • Hi, Candy.

Is that what you're having done (see subject line)?

If so, I have encouragement for you: I had the same thing done June 17th, and started walking, walking, walking when I got home (5 hours post surgery). My neurosurgeon didn't release me to drive until I was 2 weeks post op, which was yesterday, but I'm in no hurry. I've read other posts from people who even rode in a car too soon and ended up either undoing the healing progress they'd made or re-herniating. Just passing this along to you so if there is ANY WAY you can put off driving for a while, please consider it.

I'm 100% happy with the results of my surgery; no reason you shouldn't be either! :) I wish you all the best!
  • I hope I get more then 50% too. Thank you so much Ski.

• The hospital papers say only L5 so I assume that is where he is doing both. The herination is L5-S1 so the disectomy could be that disc or more bone. Won't know until I have it done.

It is nice to read that yours is going so well. Can't believe you were home that day that is amazing. My doctor is keeping me in hospital for 2 or 3 days after surgery. To be honest I would rather be at home but who knows until he is done.

As for driving I would love to take my time too but I am the only driver in the family so that could be hard. Hopefully I won't have to drive after I am home.

Thank you,