Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

questions on fusion c2 thru c6

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My husbands surgery is now scheduled. I need to understand what is going to happen. The Dr's. say is neck now is so unstable that a small rear end auto accident could kill him. They want to fuse C2 -C6 in one procedure taking about 10 hours to complete. He hasn't been able to move his neck much from side to side for years. Also has numbness in fingers of both hands. He is active and just tries to ignore the pain he is now in.

What kind of recovery can he expect? Side effects? Will the current pain lessen or will there be more? Should he do this all at once as they want to do or partial? They will not be using bone grafts. I believe it will be titanium.

I don't know if this matters but he is 45 years old 6'4" and about 215 lbs.

Any advise would be appreciated.

• Iam fused from c4-c7 and I only have 10% use of my neck, it has been a year since my last surgery. I think everyone is different as far as how well they do and heal, but, the main thing is that he listens to his Doctor and not do more than he is supposed to do.My Dr. also said a car wreck or and trauma could kill me or paralyze me before I had my surgery, my hands were totally numb and my feet were ice cold all of the time.
    I had titanium plates and bone from my hip put in. When is his surgery scheduled? I really wish him luck and hope the best for him. I tried to work after mine and ended up quiting my job and now Iam on SSD. But, I also have herniated disc's now above and below my fusion. Just know that he will need your help for awhile and the pain and discomfort is pretty bad for awhile....
    Good luck and well wishes your way