Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Headline re Vicodin, Percocet...

inchwormiinchworm Posts: 719
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Pain Medications
Just noticed this article just posted on msnbc.com:

FDA panel votes to eliminate Vicodin, Percocet
Deadly overdoses of acetaminophen, narcotics are cited in recommendation

This may affect some of you.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled

• I think too much is used all over the place and the problem is that people don't stop to take the time to read the ingredients in their OTC meds, and they may take an RX with more tylenol on top of it all. Maybe all of this will mean that they will dispense more tylenol free oxycodone. I also think Vicoprofen is a good painkiller because it has ibuprofen in it; perhaps it may be more prescribed in people who don't have GI problems of course. It's also a good thing I was switched to MS IR ;)
  • If this happens, whether it happens quickly or slowly, there will be another massive drug shortage as all patients taking these meds will be switched to the others. Since the government regulates how much can be manufactured, we will be looking at a very unpleasant shortage with months to recover.

• On CBS, IIRC, they reported that while the panel is recommending these things they are not sure that all the recommendations will be followed.

For now they may just pull all the ?/500 strength tabs as the new recommendation is 650mg at a time of acetaminophen. So the ?/325 strengths are still "ok".

How many times have panel recommendations been ignored before?

I expect we will need to wait and see what actually occurs.
  • Good discussion of potential options...

As someone who relies strictly on OTC, I'm curious on how this will turn out. I've dealt with chronic pain for 15+ years, but have done everything I can to avoid prescription meds. After ACDF I got off Percocet as quickly as possible...
  • IMHO, Cherish is absolutely right about this, there will be a shortage of the meds left behind. Whether they make a transition slowly or quickly will determine how much of a shortage.
  • Hmm, something doesn't compute, guess we will just need to wait for the final "official" word:

From ABC's "No Vicodin": "I would tell patients who are panicking over [this vote] to relax, it doesn't mean they're going to take pain medication off the market completely but just that they're thinking about changing certain prescribing patterns to increase safety," said Kim. "

And from CBS's "FDA panel votes to eliminate": "and eliminating prescription drugs such as Vicodin and Percocet."

So, the jury's still out...

• paulgla said:
    This is not meant for political reasons:::

The US just attacked a portion of Afganistan which is a huge supplier of opium poppies. Let's see how this effects the supply of opium to produce the meds which will no longer have the tylenol in them.

If you have Percocet and take away the oxy and take away the tylenol what is left?
    EGAD! :jawdrop: ~X( :? 8} @)
    ya'll have a good weekend