Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does this sound familiar?

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
It's 3:00am. I might as well get up. I've twisted, turned, groaned and moaned in bed long enough. Don't want to disturb hubby. Grab my pillow, my fluffy blanket. Got my ice pack, heating pad, took more pain meds. How about ice on lower back and heat on neck? Nope. Heat on lower back and ice on neck? Ah, nope. Can't lie on the sofa. Can't lie on the floor. Recliner? Nope. May as well go sit on the porch...maybe a smoke will help..maybe two. Shoot, it's dark out here. The outdoor light is blown...ah nothing to see anyway. It's thundering and raining. Good time to sleep...ha ha ha. Can't watch tv it'll wake everyone up. Don't like to watch if I can't hear it anyway. Maybe I can crawl back in bed and go to sleep now. Hubby is snoring. Must be nice. Left side, nope. Right side, nope. Back, nope. Stomach, ha ha ha yeah right, no way. I might as well get up. Okay, I'm up.

(|: :<

• Hi Sunny,

Yes, with a few variations your night reminds me of numerous I've had in recent months. At least I could finally sleep if I stayed flat on my back--part of the night anyway.

Sorry to hear you're having so much pain and I hope tonight is better than last night!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I call the sleep I get at night - the night "watchman's shift" -- I usually get to sleep around 4 a.m. -- unfortunately, ever time I get up before that time, I hit the kitchen and look for food -- usually, it's something sweet -- I'm surprised I'm not 400 pounds (LOL).

I truly feel for you that your pain keeps you up at night -- Do you take a sleeping pill along with your pain meds? Maybe, that would help to give you a few hours sleep.

It isn't pain that keeps me from sleeping -- it's menopause -- I haven't had a good night's sleep since my hysterectomy in 2004 (HA!). Due to my nighttime sleep habits, I can take a GREAT NAP durimg the day.

One thing I used to do for sleepless nights was keep a jigsaw puzzle on my kitchen table -- it helped with the frustration of not being able to sleep or watch tv. I'd sit there trying to fit a puzzle piece until I started to get sleepy.

Take care and may the sleep angels watch over you tonight and let you get some sleep!

• Sounds real familiar...
    I've been having a wee bit of trouble myself lately.
    I almost wish I still smoked and it woke me up enough to go have one, almost.

Me I just toss and turn all night, bad shoulder to good shoulder, back and forth. My back hurts just enough to keep me 1/4 awake so no matter how long I seem to "sleep" I always feel like doggie doo-doo.

I have tried every trick at my disposal, nothing seems to help. Ambien lets me seem to sleep better but not longer and I still feel like doo-doo.

I am so jealous of those people who only need 4-5 hours sleep a night and feel good doing it that way!
    It's not quantity I miss its quality!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Thanks. I hope for a better night too. I'm so worn out. I seldom ever nap during the day.

Do you sleep better since your surgery? Has you pain diminished any?

Take care,
    Thanks. No I don't take any sleeping pills. I would rather try not to. I had been sleeping better but I've been cutting back on my meds this past week. Guess I can't do that...not yet.
    Menopause. Yeah that makes things worse doesn't it?
    I love working on jigsaw puzzles but I can't sit for long now. I've tried cushions, pillows, all that stuff and still I can't sit. I like to read but when I'm in pain I can't concentrate.
    Have you got your second opinion yet?
    Take care,
    Sorry you have trouble sleeping also. I need (want) six or seven hours. Hard to imagine how I went without much sleep at all a few years ago (more like twenty).
    I know what you mean about feeling like doggie doo...I feel like crap too. Does the ambien make you feel bad the next day? Like a hangover? That's how some muscle relaxers make me feel. (Not that I'd know how a hangover feels lol). :^o
    Hope you're having a good day. How's the SCS doing?
    Take care,
  • Deltalady hit the nail on the head for those of us ladies in that lovely stage of perimenopause. We all have our demons to deal with, however, it is so @#$%^Y^*&% frustrating to add on those hideous night sweats/hot flashes and mood swings on top of all we are dealing with pain-wise. I also hear my husband sleeping and snoring away and get so jealous! However, on the other hand he has been taking on alot of the household chores to give me a break so I can't let it bother me.
  • Deltalady hit the nail on the head for those of us ladies in that lovely stage of perimenopause. We all have our demons to deal with, however, it is so @#$%^Y^*&% frustrating to add on those hideous night sweats/hot flashes and mood swings on top of all we are dealing with pain-wise. I also hear my husband sleeping and snoring away and get so jealous! However, on the other hand he has been taking on alot of the household chores to give me a break so I can't let it bother me.
  • I've had insomnia problems for quite awhile, years actually, and now the chronic pain only makes it worse. I now rely on sleep meds, right now an OTC one to help me get some sleep. I lie down around 10:30 every night and I'm up until 1am or later then fall asleep and that's with sleep meds. That's why I had to go off of Ambien. That stuff is nasty if you take it and can't fall asleep. I feel for all of you knowing how it feels to lack a good night's rest.
  • At this point since my latest and worst spine injury about 18 months ago, I am usually able to get some kind of sleep. My main problem is waking up multiple times at night, usually every hour or two. I usually take medicaton and lay back down until I fall asleep again.

I remember the days of no sleep though, how can I forget them. I would be up for days straight in horrible pain. It sucks, hopefully the doc's will help you get relief. My guess is you probably need somethiing much more stronger than Tramadol to atleast help get you through the day.
  • but unlike you i can get some sleep on my recliner .sorry to here about your pain ..i thought i had it bad ..like they say there is always someone worse off
    I keep thinking "I'm not old enough for this" but guess what? I am. Gotta love it don't you? They wonder why we get in bad moods? I wonder why? lol :)
    That's rough even if you can't sleep while taking meds. I'm a person who can't function well on little sleep. Just the opposite to the way I was ten years ago when 3 or 4 hrs would suffice. Those were the days! :D I've heard that about Ambien. Hope you can find something that works.
    I know that waking up so many times makes me feel as bad as no sleep. I kind of had one of those nights last night. Everytime I'd get to sleep something would hurt and I'd wake up. I sometimes wish for stronger pain meds but I also want to put it off as long as possible. I declined an appt. with a pain management doctor for that same reason. I don't know for how long though. Hope you have a better night tonight. Have you tried neurontin for your nerve pain? Some have great success with it.
    By reading your signature I can tell you that I know you've had a much rougher time of it than I have. I thankfully haven't dealt with chronic pain for that long. I've had off and on neck problems for nine or ten years but the lbp has only been since Jan. so you've suffered much longer. Hope you're having a good day today.
    If I misunderstood the meaning behind your post I'm sorry.
    I think if you re-read your post you'll see how I got the impression that if we can't sleep it's because we don't do anything. And yes if that's what was meant it pisses me off because I know a lot of people in chronic pain (much worse than myself) who would love to be able to do more, even clean house. But no I don't feel any guilt about my activities unless it's because I do too much and then keep my husband awake at night with my tossing and turning trying to find a way that I can sleep.
    Again, I'm sorry if I misunderstood. That's just how it hit me when I read it.

This discussion has been closed.