Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

admiralsmurfaadmiralsmurf Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, I am known as admiralsmurf. In 1983 I had two discs removed from the lower lumbar region of my spine. After three months of physio I was deemed fit enough to go back to work. I was an international truck driver.

Starting in 1994 I had the exact symptoms as I had in the early '80s. Ex-ray showed nothing, physio did me no good but then I had an MRI scan in LGI. This scan showed that I had scare tissue growing on the nerve in my spine around the 4 & 5 lower lumbar region.

I was told that the surgeon whould operate on me come monday. Monday came and so did my breakfast. I enquired about having an op so I should'nt have food. I was told no op. My McClaren saw me later and explained that if he opened me up and started scraping away at the tissue and knicked the nerve, then I could lose the use of my legs. Better to have pain and walk than not have use of my legs.

I have been diagnosed this since 1997 and am on a bucketful of medication including Morphine and Oramorph which I take as and when I feel too much pain.

It is so good to find this website with people who know what I am talking about.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. we are glad you stopped by! =D> i am sorry your surgery was not successful.. that can happen! ~X( many of us use pain meds to live as productive lives as possible. :D good luck as you search for pain relief! :D Jenny :)
  • Thanks Jenny for your welcome. I feel better now actually knowing that there is someone out there who knows by experience, what I go through day by day.

My wife Carol and I have started going to the disabled swimming club in York. It is so nice to be able to move with little or no pain. Little by little, one day I will swim a length. Take care Ken.
  • A warm welcome to Spine-Health! :H

You'll find lots of empathy here for what you've experienced (and still are experiencing) as well as lots of information. #o Jump in and participate in the various forums. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Welcome to SH :H Did you mean that your surgery was canceled because you ate breakfast that same morning? What type of surgery were you going to have? I have scar tissue pressing on the nerve too and my surgeon said it's too risky to do surgery to scrape it out because there is a chance of it growing back even worse. I'm on MS Contin, and immediate release morphine for chronic pain, as well as other ones listed below. Well, it's good to have you onboard and we look forward to knowing you better. Take care :)
  • Hiya meydey, the surgery was cancelled because my surgeon spoke to another surgeon over the weekend. They decided that surgery was too risky. He could open me up and go in to scrape the scar tissue away but, if he as much as just nicked the nerve in my spine, I would end up not being able to walk. It was decided that I can live with the pain better than having to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I must admit that I agreed with them lol. Amongst my medication is Morphine Sulphate Pentahydrate @ 40 mgs a day. I also have Oramorph as and when I need it.

With all the medication my wife and I are on, when we die they will use us as rattles. Cheers.
  • The warm weather has a good effect on me, the warmer I am the less pain I feel. I wish we could afford to live in the sun lol.
    I have been getting cramps in my legs of late which are the strangest of feelings. I really cannot discribe them properly. My GP put me on some new medication... no, sorry I can't recall the name. I took these for four days only and stopped. The side effects were awful and I could do without them. As long as I have my dogs to walk four times a day I am on top of the pain. If it does get worse then it has to be the case of working through it, I 'aint going to let it win. I'll try and find this page again in a short while lol. I'm relatively new to this computermabob. Bye.
  • i'm like you...no more surgery and fighting pain...did any of your drs mention the spinal cord stimulator to help your pain?
  • Evening Pete, the only stimulation mentioned as far as I can recall was the Tens Unit. Didn't do any good tho. Didn't last more than a week with it. As you say just fighting the pain.

There are times I feel like an imposter here. All I have is scar tissue growing on the nerve in my spine. What I read about some of you, my life is easy. Then I get up too quickly from my chair and I am jerked straight back into reality.
  • Reading this last post of yours cracked me up. It reminds me of going to AA meetings where they state that "the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking". Well maybe Spine Health should put up a statement to the effect that "the only requirement for membership is the desire to quit hurting".

Okay so it's late and I'm getting tired. Seriously though it doesn't matter what, if or how many procedures or injuries a person has. If they hurt or are a friend or family member of someone who hurts ... come on in the door is open.

Glad you're here.

• I've been to AA if only I could find a group that understood
    living with pain. That would be great the only requirement for
    membership is the desire to stop hurting. Maybe I'll have to
    start my own in my town. AA sure don't understand living with
  • wouldn't that be something. Work a 12 step program to minimize your pain! I'd be a regular at every meeting I could find.

Howe, welcome to Spine Health. We may not be able to take away your pain, but maybe we can give you a laugh or two. Not to mention support and information.

• Good evening Howe55, as you can see by my posts I am a nosser here too. I have searched for ages and found the only site that knows what I go through. And you meet some good people lol.