Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 day post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well everybody I wanted to let everyone know how I
did after my surgery - well here goes -
I got to the surgery center at 12;30
signed in and then about 1;14 went back and talked to the
doctors & the anasthesiologist. everything went like
clockwork my pastor also showed up & said a prayer for me
and my doctor

Myy surgery lasted approx 3 hours I didnt feel a thing
:))) :))) :))) I got to recovery & they said I did a good job
I just hoped that the doctor did a good job.
After about 30 minutes in recovery I went to a room
and they took a few tests & then took out the catheder
thank god. I got up and walked down the hall a few times
It all seemed fairly well, I had lots of trouble getting to sleep but managed a few winks,the walking did not hurt
me at all but getting into and out of bed was absolutely
the worst ,this morning I got up around 7;30 walked to the bathroom & then the doctor came to check me out
He said I was doing wonderful & sent me home at noon
I came home & took a 10 minute walk as prescribed by doc
I felt very sore after I got home took 2 pain pills & layed down in bed
For the most part I am very happy with the way it has turned out & the best part my back does not hurt at all
the anterior way is definetly the way to go if you can
I hope I continue to be better every day
I really wanted to tell everyone how I appreciated all the help & support I got in such a quick way
Life is Good
Love to all

• ONE DAY in the hospital!!! Holy cow! That's awesome! I'm so glad it seems to be going so well for you - wow, I'm still just blown away!

Now just keep doing well, don't over do anything and may you keep healing!
  • Hey Mark,

Congrats! I'm so glad everything went smoothly!!

Now do everything you're told to do by your doctors, and remember there will be good and bad days. Keep your eyes focused on the future and soon this will all be just a distant memory.

(Applause!! Champagne bottles popping!!)
    (Can you hear this coming all the way from PA?)

My best wishes,

• You sound like you are doing great if you are walking 10 minutes on day 1 post op! Did they do a minimally invasive surgery? How long were your incision(s)? I am about 9 days post op and doing well. I had 2 2.5 inch incisions in my back. They are healing very well. I still have some pain but it is so much better than it was during the first week!
  • /thanks I am very sore right now trying to keep up
    my walking but getttint in and out of bed is hell
    as is the car but I am trying to take it one day at a time
    and slowly going in
  • Wow maryanne thnks for the toast
    I will definitely do what they say I am very sore
    2 days out but am trying to take it slow and easy
    thanks for the support
  • I had 2 fusion surgeries back in 1998 on L3 and 4
    went through the back I fell and broke my back
    I did pretty good but now after several years of pain I decided to do my L5 S1 the anterior approachj which I went with this time , so far anyway
    seems to be much better now my incision is abo;ut a
    3 inch cut and this time they used a synthetic to pack my cages with back in 98 they took a bone graft from my hip very painful
  • So great to see that you are home and in such high spirits! I'm sure I don't need to tell you what to do and not do, but I do want to suggest that if you aren't sure I you should be doing something or not, probably best to just not do it until you talk to your doctor.

Again, great to see you back so quickly, and please keep us posted!

• Congratulations Mark!! One day in the hospital... that is awesome!

It sounds like you will be good to go in no time at all!

Keep us posted, and take it easy!

• And you're straight onto the computer! Clearly, your drugs don't mess with your brain like mine did!

It all sounds very promising. I'm glad it's over for you. Now, just rest and heal.
  • What method did they use to close the incision?
    Sutures? Staples? Glue?

Congrats on a speedy experience!
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hi Jen I quess Im doing ok back on the computer right away
    but it takes me quite alot longer to write my words than before
    I find myself unable to concentrate and my mind drifts all the time
  • Hi Paul
    theyused sutures on me,supposed to go see the Doc on
    Monday the 13 of july

• How's it going Mark?
  • Congrats Mark on your surgery. I am 4 weeks post op today. I am so glad its over. I've had 3 spine operations and they sent me home this time 5 hours after I woke up. I had a laminectomy this time. I was told it would be a over night stay and ended up leaving same day. After I got home I wasn't sure it was a good idea to be sent home so soon. I went back to work yesterday for 2 hours and needless to say I wanted to leave as soon as I arrived. I think its too soon. Keep us posted there are many of us in the same boat. :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I'm shocked at how quickly some of you are sent home from hospital. How long was your procedure?
  • hi Jen it is going well , I still have tne pain at my incision site it feels
    hard and tight , called docs office today an d they sa8d they did not see
    cause to worry just get done what i have to but dont over do
    I have appt. on monday so I will have more detailed answer then