Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Multiple lumbar disc herniations; only one repaired?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, all.

I had my L5-S1 laminotomy-discectomy 2 weeks ago today. I'm doing very well.

When I read my MRI results and the OP notes, I wondered why only the bulging disc at L5-S1 was taken care of, when I have bulging discs at L4-L5 and L3-L4 as well. Arthritis is causing the canal for the nerve root to narrow at L4-L5; wouldn't it have made sense to do something with that bulging disc and the one higher while the neurosurgeon was "in there" fixing the one that held my sciatic nerve hostage?

Just wondering if this is odd or if it's SOP.

Thanks for reading!

• Hi Rose,

MRI's often show lots of nasty things, BUT, it doesn't mean they cause any symptoms. For surgeons to decide how to proceed, your symptoms have to "match up" with what they see on the MRI.

Many MRIs show herniations, yet the person isn't complaining of any pain. So basically, an MRI is only one piece of the puzzle.

I had the same surgery as you two weeks ago as well, on June 16th. I am very, very happy with the results!

Best wishes for a pain-free future!

• Surgeons always want to do as little as possible to solve the problem. It may be that your symptoms or some other testing indicated that only the L5-S1 was the pain generator.

It is not unusual for anyone over the age of twenty-something to show up having disc bulges on MRIs. Most of them do not cause pain. I would imagine the surgeon concluded that yours were not worth operating on. The less surgery the less the risk that something else might be damaged. Plus, I would assume that they only have this information from imaging studies. With a micro surgery, they were not actually "in there" and able to see anything but the same area they were working on.

Also, if the surgeon had to "fix" several discs, you probably would have ended up with a fusion, which the doctor wanted to avoid, if possible.

Glad you are feeling better.
  • Thank you both for your posts. I simply couldn't put two and two together and come up with four like I was supposed to. Your answers shed the much-needed light on the subject.

I wish you both all the best! <:P