Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

gwennie17gwennie17 Posts: 2,957
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Pain Medications
Interesting news about the use and dosage of acetaminophen and recommendation to ban two of our favorites: Vicodin and Percocet.

Taken from Orthosupersite.com --

In a two-day joint meeting, members of the FDA advisory committees for drug safety and risk management, anesthetic and life support drugs and nonprescription drugs convened to examine liver injury associated with the use of acetaminophen in OTC and prescription drugs and to formulate methods to prevent acetaminophen overdose.

According to the New York Times, the panel recommended banning Percocet (Endo Pharmaceuticals) and Vicodin (Abbott Laboratories) in a 20-17 vote.

In a 24-13 vote, they also suggested lowering the maximum allowed dosage of acetaminophen in OTC medications from 500 mg to 325 mg.

The group also called for decreasing the maximum daily dosage to less than 4,000 mg. However, the panel voted against recommendations to limit the number of pills contained in each bottle and banning combination medications that include acetaminophen.

• For me, when I saw the first article on this topic I was blown away and happy; I've always referred to our most well known acetaminophen slinger as 'big Tylenol' (obviously a play on big tobacco), because I think it's completely unnecessary in at least 1/2 of the medicines it currently exists in, and can be very damaging to the liver even with low doses with long-term daily use. I also have always felt that they were so successful in spreading that drug into SO many different over the counter medicines, that there was just no way we would ever, ever, be able to get the APAP out of our Nyquil/tylenol PM/etc.

Personally, I switched off of Norco some time ago because of the APAP and it's been a great thing according to my liver panel, and I feel better to, in a small way at least.

I hope a few thousand lives are saved each year as a result of the changes; time will tell. Now if we can just get the FDA to take the chemicals and the tobacco out of cigarettes.. ;-) then we'll REALLY save millions of lives. Ah well, one step at a time.