Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Continuous muscle spasms. Anyone else?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My wife is 2 weeks out of her surgery and I think she is progressing fairly well. She's had a few setbacks but keeps pressing forward. These past few days have been very tough. She has been unable to sleep due to continious, debilitating muscle spasms deep in her lower back. The doc said that these are, unfortunately, "normal" and will lessen as time passes. She is continuing to walk as much as she can (which is a bunch) as this seems to give her some relief. The problem is that she hasn't been able to sleep at all because of the pain. Doc changed her from flexarill to robaxin and that hasn't helped. All she wants to do is lay down, relax her back, and sleep! ~X( Any suggestions?

• Hi jran: The only thing that really worked after my fusion for the deep spasms was good old Valium. 5mg PRN for as long as needed, which was about 2-3 months until things adjusted...

Also ask for a good sleeping pill. Valium is a benzo, so you may weant to stay in that "family"--a good one to try is Restoril, another "oldie but goodie". Doesn't take much of it & no grogginess in the AM.

My NS nixed all the others: flexaril, skelaxin, soma..just gave me Valium & Restoril & soon I got the zzzz's I needed to heal.

Good luck! Pain & sleepless nights are not helpful!

• Soma worked well for me. Prior to starting it, I had spasms so bad that my back arched. I thought I was going to rip the hardware out!

Hope you get relief soon.