Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two Laminectomies

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
On May 28 I had a laminectomy discectomy and bone spur removal at L 4/5 to relieve extreme sciatica pain in left leg. At the time of the surgery, my NS was aware of an additional herniation at L 2/3, but felt addressing L 4/5 would relieve the pain and would deal with L 2/3 later. Post surgery I continued to have weakness in the left leg and pain in the left hip; I cannot put full weight on the left leg and walk with a cane. My NS has said to resolve this problem, I need a a second laminectomy. Will these two laminectomies result in destabilization of the spine requiring fusion? Is there a downside to fusion?

• As you know, none of us are medical professionals, but I see no reason why a second lami would destabilize your spine. The segments are not adjacent. It would certainly be worth a try to do the lesser procedure.

There are a number of downsides to fusion. It is a BIG surgery and requires a very long recovery. There is no guarantee that it will fix what is wrong. There is nowhere left to go after fusion. The chance for success decreases with the number of levels that require fusing -- in other words, fusing one level has a higher rate of success than fusing multiple levels.

Also with multiple levels the patient begins to lose flexibility in the spine.

Have you thought about getting a second opinion before proceeding with the second surgery? Are you quite sure it is the other disk that is generating your pain?