Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

still struggling!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:))) Hi everyone.....I have read alot of posts in this site......I feel for all of you. My husband had cervical surgery in Jan 2008 and hasn't felt the same since. He doesn't sleep at all and when he does it is in an office like chair!....He still has swallowing issues, hasn't sneezed in a year and half, except for 2xs, and it was a sneezing fit! The "fusion" went well, it rid him of the arm numbness and pain, is going to pain management, on oxycodone,oxycotin and fentynol patches, they take the edge off and ruin his stomache!!!!!but there are soooo many things he cannot do!...Go on the rides with our kids, play chicken fites in the pool, go bowling, etc. all for the fear of getting re-injured!...How sad is that after going thru such an ordeal? As painful and uncomfortable as it is for all who've had surgery, it is just as frustrating for those of us who love you. We feel for you but are helpless, we don't know how else to help you feel better. The pain I guess will always be there, which all thought differently as we did, but what do we do from now on? Keep our heads up and just try and deal the best we know how?? #:S
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You're a very caring wife to post on here for your hubby.

I'm surprised that your husband is still so restricted after a year and a half. After a certain amount of time post surgery, if you're feeling fairly good, you have to live life and although you must always be aware of your spine, you should also be able to swim, bowl, golf, etc. It's just a matter of being careful.

With that in mind, I have some questios: What does the surgeon say? Did he have fusion and if so what levels? Did he do PT? He's obviously still in some major pain considering the meds he's on - have you been told why?

Sorry for so many questions, but the more we know the more we can help.

Take care,
    Cath
  • Hi, thanx for your reply...He had acdf....c456? Surgeon said fusion was successful. He went to PT and was released, he has been back to work for oover a year, is still going to pain management, new MRI says a few minor issues along with permanent nerve damage. That is why he is still on meds! It is very frustrating to feel you must be on these meds in order to deal with the pain, no other surgery is needed!Don't get me wrong, he does alot of activity,his job is to install major appliances, so he is lifting, pulling and the rest, but suffers in the end, and having to be extremely cautios takes the fun out of alot! I guess this is the side affect of not having the prior pain, now its a new pain!. still hanging on!!!!
  • dawnid said:
    :))) Hi everyone.....I have read alot of posts in this site......I feel for all of you. My husband had cervical surgery in Jan 2008 and hasn't felt the same since. He doesn't sleep at all and when he does it is in an office like chair!....He still has swallowing issues, hasn't sneezed in a year and half, except for 2xs, and it was a sneezing fit! The "fusion" went well, it rid him of the arm numbness and pain, is going to pain management, on oxycodone,oxycotin and fentynol patches, they take the edge off and ruin his stomache!!!!!but there are soooo many things he cannot do!...Go on the rides with our kids, play chicken fites in the pool, go bowling, etc. all for the fear of getting re-injured!...How sad is that after going thru such an ordeal? As painful and uncomfortable as it is for all who've had surgery, it is just as frustrating for those of us who love you. We feel for you but are helpless, we don't know how else to help you feel better. The pain I guess will always be there, which all thought differently as we did, but what do we do from now on? Keep our heads up and just try and deal the best we know how?? #:S
    I know exactly how your husband feels. I had the same operation and same levels fused in 2006. The best thing to do is swimming in my opinion. Not physically do a stroke just walk around in the pool. Get the water up to your chin and rotate your neck to the left and right and up and down. The therapy heated pools are the best. But I use my own in the summer. I just float, soak and walk. I keep doing the same exercises over and over. He needs some delicate physical therapy. The more he does it the better it will get.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.