Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Who is our best friend? Who is our worst enemy?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Matters of the Heart
I decided to create this new thread after reading a post made by Paulgla. So many times we can be our own worst enemy.
I can vouch for that. So many times in the past 35+ years, I have done things to cause additional problems and/or impact good recovery.

But then there are times when I know I am my own best friend.
I have had tons of support from my wife, my children and friends, so that has never been an issue. But I am the one living with this day in and day out, so I am in the best position to do the right things.

I would be curious to hear what others have to say ....
Since this title is pretty wide open, any input would be fine
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• My best friend is my hubby, Tony. He's stuck by me with love and understanding since last May when everything started. He offers me sympathy and strength, joy and tears, patience and true love that I can see in his eyes every day. He's been my best friend and for 26 years and my husband for 22. He's my soulmate.

My worst enemy is way too obvious - my spine. If I stand too long, it yells at me. If I bend to far, it yells at me. If I lift too much, it yells at me. In fact, it just yells at me all the time.

Well, after saying that, I guess I have to say that my second best friends are my flexiril, hydrocodone, and my surgeon et. al., who continue to understand that I need the medications and their help and understanding.

Ok, I broke the rules - sorry PapaRon.
  • I am also my own worse enemy - in doing things that I know will cause me pain of some sort afterwards, but then, I am my own best friend, because I know the things that will ease that pain.
    Other than that, my best friend is my spouse, he comforts me, consoles me and motivates me, whether I want to be or not. My worst enemy is any clock. Ticking away seconds, minutes and hours, that seem like days, months and years - until it's time for meds, until the meds kick in, until I fall asleep, until I can leave work to go home, until the commute is over and I'm back home... I could go on and on...
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • in fact, that word enemy is awfully harsh!! there is no battle!! :D as for my best friend that would have to be John, my partner of almost 30 years.. :X i would leave someone off if i tried to mention all the great people i love here on SH so suffice to say i hope you know who you are!!! >:D< many times i am my own worst enemy but don't we all tend do that to ourselves? :? Jenny :)