Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I won, I won!!!!!

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi all,

I just found out about an hour ago that I won my SSD!!!! I am still in shock and feel they are going to call back and say it's a mistake! Oh God is so good...He's good even if it weren't true. I've been "waiting on the Lord to renew my strength" and encourage each of you to continue to do the same.

I called my attorney (I used Binder and Binder) to see if I'd now qualify for SSI since our income is so low this year...I didn't apply for SSI at first b/c my husband did great last year. When she got my SS #, she said "oh my, I was going to call you....girl, you are going to live a long life". I said "oh I hope so, what do you mean?"...she said "you have won your disability case"!!! [big silence...holding breath as the tears well up in my eyes] "what?" I said and she repeated it and started saying that I should be getting a determination letter in the mail and cash (back pay) soon. Still, in total shock and disbelief...I cried to her and asked a couple questions. I just couldn't stop weeping.

Just for background b/c I don't post too often....I filed early this year and decided to go with B&B to represent me b/c the paperwork was so intimidating. I figured they wouldn't have taken my case if they didn't think I could win it. I was denied my first time, found out last month. I was so devastated that it took me two weeks to call and tell them (you only have 60 days to appeal). So, they got all my new doctor info and then I mentioned that we were having trouble with me not working and that our house was getting ready to go thru foreclosure. The rep was very interested in that and told me to fax the info on the upcoming auction date and said sometimes this helps as it is seen as a "dire need situation". That was only last week guys!!! It was supposed to take 4 months to hear from the appeal and then they expected to win my case at the hearing stage. Can you believe this? I'm still in shock and can't think of anything else.

Our money situation is so bad right now that I looked at nursing jobs online last night and contemplated wheather I should "try" to fake my wellness enough to go back to work a little bit. (I can't walk right and have constant pain and can't even do CPR....it was a dumb thought...but I'm desparate). My husband wouldn't think of letting me try to hurt myself further...he said this morning, "instead of thinking you can work once a week and injure yourself and paralyze yourself, why don't you call and ask about your case and SSI". So I did and found out the news that just about made me faint! It is a bitter-sweet moment like so many of you say...Being so happy b/c there is no way I could work, but then agian sad b/c it's permenent...and I'm only 36 years old.

Anyway, just wanted to share my good news and encourage each of you waiting on your decision to hang in there!

Mark 11:24 says Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Blessings to each of you!

• I'm so glad to hear your good news. I remember when you started a post asking if anyone used Binder & Binder because you were considering them. I actually think of you each time on of their commercials come on. LOL Isn't that weird?

Anyway, this has got to be a big relief and I'm very, very happy for you.

• Congrats on winning your SSDI case <:P I'm so happy for you and your family, and I hope you get to stay in your house. The paperwork isn't over yet, because after you qualify your lawyer will see if you can get SSI. This helps people with low income and you get some more money on top of what Social Security will give you. It used to be that people with SSI automatically were enrolled in Medicaid, but I think changes have been made where they enroll you in an HMO type program. Please forgive me, it's been years since I won my case and I have forgotten some details. I'm on SSDI and was fortunate to get covered by Medicare right away; I heard that others have had to wait like 2 years or something. I sure hope this isn't the case if you get SSDI. Anyway, we're all happy for you. Take care =D>
  • Wow...some wait 2 years for medicare? My caseworker mentioned it today that I would get it...I assumed it kicked in with the SSDI payments. I'm really confused as to what will happen. She said I should expect my determination letter in the mail next or I may get my backpay check first and the other would follow, but she said I'd get medicare too. Is this automatic, or did she hear this from SS about me?

Thanks! I'm still on cloud 9...this is such a God-send. My hubby and I were watching a sermon on tv the other night from Joel Olsteen and he said this prhase "When oppisition is at its greatest, vicotry is around the corner". We kept repeating this over and over as we have so much oppisition right now.

I pray that all of you waiting for a decision get yours soon as well. Blessings to all and thanks for the replies.
  • I'm very happy for you getting your approval!! I to just got my approval a couple months ago and it has been a blessing. And I know the feeling of being excited but upset at the same time when you hear the news. But we can still pray for a pain free day!!
    God Bless!
  • Great news! I'm so happy for you, I will have a mini-party in your honor. Now you can focus on other things without worrying about money so much!

• Thanks so much for your replies and well wishes!!
    Morris...have you had surgery? I was reading your signature and didn't see it. I think I'm one of the only ones around who got approved without surgery. The surgeon said it may be in my future, but for now, we can't fix it...so I just live in pain. I notice most on this site have had fusions or disectomies, but it looked like you hadn't...just curious to know how many haven't had any surgery and gotten approved.
  • tarheelgirl said:
    just curious to know how many haven't had any surgery and gotten approved.
    The way my second denial was written, it sounded as though if I hadn't had surgery, I would have been approved. Reason for denial: "should be able to return to work by end of July". Of course, it could be they would have found some other reason to deny my the second time, as the first denial was downright idiotic: "should still be able to perform the duties of a blackjack/craps/roulette dealer", I laughed and cried and screamed about that one, how ridiculous!

To me, it seems it's hit and miss. Much may depend on your location as well, but since I don't have a lot of experience with it, I will acquiesce to others with more experience.

• No I haven't had surgery and it only took me 3-4 months to be approved. the Dr.s are telling me I'm not a surgical canidate for now. they have been telling me that surgery now would most likely make my legs worse with all the nerve damage. They don't want to risk scar tissue damage. So I guess I have to just deal with the pain and not being able to walk but about 10-15' at a time. It is so aggrevating to know that they will not even consider trying surgery at least I could say I tried to get better. So I guess they will just wait until I'm in a wheelchair before they may consider anything more. And I also just found out I have fribro. on top of everything else going on.
    Again congrats to you!!!!
  • Congratulations on your win i have been 2 years dealing with them .. truly happy you won ... if you have pensions with places you worked check with them you might get to collectte them as well as your SSD!!!! . in a lot of times if you win SSD you can get your pensions too........

again way to go well done ....
  • Morris, I am sorry about the fibro...Lyrica is supposed to be great for that...have you looked into that?

Whyme...I have doctors limitations that I can't walk/stand or sit more than one hour at a time (which personally it's more like 30 minutes)...but they had on my first denial letter that I could still perform duties as a nurse. Uh....that made me so angry...those were 12 hour shifts on my feet and lifting 200+ lb patients and at home I drop things (plates/milk jug) b/c I can't hold them well. It's documented in my chart from my pain doc that I have trouble drawing up medications from a syringe. How the heck could I be a nurse? I guess everyone gets the same denial wording!
  • Wow, crazy isn't it? They just want to see if you will just "go away" I suppose. Many people (actually such as me when I started), apply early in their disability knowing it will take years for any kind of decision, all the while hoping that maybe, just maybe, all will be well and they will not end up needing disability after all. Probably because of those people, it makes it worth it for them to deny almost every one. But these people (yes, me included, or could have been me) may actually contribute to the failure of the system. It's unfortunate.

But again, congratulations! And a toast to the stress of this added worry leaving your life forever!