Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help...Facet Joint injection

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone had a facet joint injection in their neck? Is it painful and would you reccomend going to sleep or is that an option? I am scared to death to have this injection. I have two buldging disk and degeneration in my neck. Do you recommend any other injections?

• Hiya Welcome To Spine health :) Firstly stop worrying because your spine will tense up and that will increase your pain >:D< . I have had facet joint injections but not in my neck :D . The first time i never had no pain relief but the second time i had sedation @) , and i would recommend that to anyone :D , i never had that before , i wish they could bottle it :))( .

Angie x :H
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I beleive that they don't sedate you because they need to know if it produces profound relief within 10 - 20 minutes, if it doesn't (like in my case) they don't proceed with that injection or continue the series.

In may case trying an injection was about as effective as trying to sink an aircraft carrier with a fly swatter.

Many of us require much more invasive techniques.

I rarely hear of stories where facet injections result in any long term relief - sucsess.

Keep us posted - I'll keep you in my prayers,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Have you found any injections that are effective for your neck?
  • Angi:

Thank you and I know I should relax. I am just very scared. So are you saying you were asleep with the procedure? Would you recommend being asleep for this procedure?
  • I read your story and I feel the same way. It does not seem like I can get doctors to want to do anything to fix my problem. I also have no energy and I was always the perfect housekeeper and now I am lucky if I can do anything. Now I have to go through injections and I know that is not fixing the problem only prolonging the problem. I am terrified because it is in my neck. Can I request sedation? My legs hurt continously and the PA said it has nothing to do with my neck. They throbb all of the time and now I have spasms at night. Any adive or direction you can give me I would be greatful for.
  • I'm glad to see you posted in a new thread of your own. I wrote my reply suggesting you do that before I saw that you already had, lol. :D

What kind of diagnosis have you been given? Is your doctor saying you may face surgery one of these days? It is my understanding that conservative treatments (such as injections ) are always tried first. In other words, you may have to have the injections to rule out their effectiveness before your doctor will be willing to try more aggressive/invasive treatment. In any case, don't be afraid, they take good care of you during these procedures, anticipating your anxieties and taking measures to relieve them. #:S

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • My first week or 2 after my facet injections was Horrible..

Im starting to feel better now but that could be from a combo of swimming and chiro...idk