Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion one year ago and still have sciatica

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. It's been about one year since my L4-L5, L5-S1 fusion. My lower back pain is better, but the sciatic pain down my right leg is driving me nuts. After more PT and meds my surgeon finally gave me an epidural injection today. I am actually stating to get frustrated with him at this point. I feel like I am having to pull information out of him.......Why is this nerve irritated? What is irritating it? What is the long term fix now that it's obviously not a disc protruding (fusion)? There was talk once of removing the hardware, but that hasn't come up in awhile. I'm wondering if I should consider talking to another MD while I'm waiting to see if this injection is going to work.

Any ideas or opinions?

• Hiya Welcome To Spine Health >:D< This is just a thought :? , as these type of surgeries are traumatic to the body :O , it can take a while to heal ~X( , where we heal from the outside inwards, this can take a long long time ~X( , depending on other medical conditions :? . So I was wondering if the nerve is agrivated or scratching on something :? . Are you still taking it easy? :T Doing to much to soon could irritate the nerves! :? Just my views, based on some personal experieneces. >:D< I hope this helps you :)

Angie :H
  • Hello and Welcome! Has your doctor said ANYTHING? I know it can take a long time for your nerves to "heal" after surgery. I didn't even know that my pain was caused by damaged nerves until they put me on neurontin and it worked (didn't realize how MUCH pain until it was gone).

Are you asking him straight out: could this be nerve damage from surgery? (or whatever was happening prior to surgery, impingement, stenosis, etc). If I were you, I would just ask the same question until you get a response, and if that brings more questions, ask them too! Don't be afraid to ask!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

• I know how you feel after 11 months and 2 fusion surgeries I get no answer at all fro m doctors and also no pain medication. they even took bone marrow and I have no reason why they did
  • I was told the numbness may be always due to being compressed for so long. It is best to try and stop the tramadol, and I quoat "I know thats easy for me to say", mmm a bit of compassion from my DR....but no real way to make it go away.

Sciatica has been slowly inhibiting a normal life despite best positive efforts, and its only been 18 months.

Sorry my news is not so good, I went into surgery believing the leg pain would be gone I woke up. LOL.