Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had two surgeries c5-c6 fusion in 06 then c4-c7 in 08 now I'm having problems fusing and my plate has three out of the four screws broke. I have gotten 5 different answers about what to do. Is there any one who has had this problem? Three docs say to have surgery from the back and two say to wait it out and you will fuse but I'm in a lot of pain. I don't want to wait it out and it not fuse and have to have surgery anyways. Someone please help I'm a mom of two boys and don't want to loose another year not playing with my kids. I guess my question is is there anyone who waited and they have fused and how long did it take. Thanks Suz

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    fusion was declared a "failure" minimal fusion - Non-union - Pseudo arthrosis ... are some of the fancy terms for just plain messed up! It took me 3 doctors and multiple cats, mri's and EMG's (almost 1.5 years after the 1st) before I finally found an orthopedic surgeon who put my MRI on the view box and said "We have to redo the whole shabang" I was in sooo much pain and despare. THose words were some of the best things I has ever heard in my life .... finally another chance! It is hard to get one (or the same) doc to admit that things are or have gone very wrong. With your case of broken screws ... I and very surprised that they are not moving quickly to resolve your problems since they have now added to the situation. Contact a malpractice attorney .... then have him contact one or all of you docs ... maybe that will motivate them to correct their work .... maybe contact the manufacturer of your plate and screws .... you need to demand resolution and a better outcome.

Good luck and good surgery outcomes,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Hi Brejomom,

As metalneck said I wouldn't let that go on. I have had the posterior surgery and it is more painful, but better than living the way you are. The post surgery pain will go away. I really don't think it is a good idea to play around with broken screws in that area. I hope on the revision surgery they are suggesting using your bone? Multiple level surgeries have a higher non-fusion rate. By chance did they get you a bone growth stimulator to try if you are waiting. One way or another your hardware I would think is going to have to come out. I agree with metalneck find out who's hardware you have and contact the manufacture. Hardware at that level shouldn't break. I might also add if you are not fusing and the hardware is broke, there is nothing holding in place as well. If the screws weren't broke you could wait it out but I don't think so at this point. Keep us posted and good luck.