Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Slept on my side...help!

Cindyx3CCindyx3 Posts: 144
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I slept on my side the last two night after having acdf surgery. My doc said it was OK but I start out on my back and I wind up on my side. I just don't want any hardware to move. Am I nuts???? I just really don't want to go through this again. My doc also doesn't believe in hard collars or soft collars. He said something about making the neck muscles stronger but the pressure is killing me and I have to lie down a lot. Is that normal?

Also stitches, the nurse told me I could get them wet in the shower??? I think it's OK but I'm scared to do anything wrong. Any input will be helpful.

• how bout a big hard pillow under each elbow to the side. that might stop you from rolling.
    this may not be what the dr orders but when i had my neck surgery i wrapped a towel around my neck then wrapped duc tape around that. it became a soft brace for sleeping.....pete
  • But after fusion surgery T4-pelvis, my doctor told me I could lie however I wanted. Obviously he didn't think it would affect my hardware.

I was saddened just reading your signature. I wish you well, Cindy.
  • It's going to take a whole lot more than sleeping on your side to get that hardware to move! Don't worry about it- but clear it with your surgeon if you're worried. I've had 2 cervical surgeries and never wore a collar either and found some interesting ways to sleep!

As hard as it is to get into a comfortable position to sleep after surgery I don't think that any self-respecting doctor is going to tell you that you can't sleep any dang way you want :)

You don't want to soak the stiches but taking a shower is fine, just dry them after to make sure they don't stay wet.

Rest well,

• I think I'm just nervous and my family drives me nuts! Thanks for all your advice. How are all you after this surgery? I have to tell most of you, I should have had this right after the accident but refused due to fear and I wish I had it done then. Are you guys happy you did it?

• I want you to know how brave I think you are. You went through this twice! You're my hero and I do hope you get use of your arm back. I have permanent nerve damage because I didn't have surgery sooner so I do know how you feel. I do hope that this halts any further damage. I have limited use of the right side of my body so I'm hoping I get some of it back. I guess only time will tell.

Thank you for your great advice!

• I had a hard collar and then a soft collar after my surgery. When I got the soft collar, my doc said I could sleep without it at night. I was too scared to and wore it to sleep anyway.

I'd say it's safe to do anything that makes you feel comfortable. Maybe the soft collar would help. I also got one of those posturepedic pillows ($125 - OUCH) that really supports my neck. I love it.

I hope your recovery continues to go well. Please keep us posted.
  • Cindy, we're all in the same boat here and I'm no different. My situation was just a little more "screwy" than most with having to have a revision done so much sooner. The second surgery was much easier because of the relief it brought; the first surgery put me through heck.

My arm is back ever so slightly but I doubt that it will ever be the same between the TOS problems and the myelopathy from my cervical injury. I don't have any really big nerve problems from my neck....ironic, isn't it? Don't give up hope, nerves take a long time to heal but they can and do heal.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about your accident. I understand the anger and frustration of having your life changed by another's carelessness. I'm 2 years into this and still fight it daily.

Keep up the good work. You're doing well, trust me!