Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help-Chronic Neck Pain - My MRI results

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 32M. I have chronic neck pain at the junction of the left shoulder and the neck. Of late the pain seems to radiate to my left arm/leg all the way to the ring finger/fourth toe. I feel a general weakness on my left side. I have no problems with my right side.

My MRI results are as follows:

Disc spaces and Spinal canal: Desiccation of C2-C3, C3-C4, C4-C5 and C5-C6. Degenerative endplate changes at C2-C3. No disc protrusion or extrusion. Spinal canal dimensions are preserved.

Conclusion: Minor degenerative changes of the cervical spine. No disc protrusion or extrusion identified. The thoracic and lumbar spine are normal.
Can anyone tell me what the report means in detail. It will also help me if anybody can tell me how to improve my condition. I lead an active lifestyle, but this problem is a "real pain in the neck".

• I understand your pain. Years ago my pain started in that exact area. I had 9 months of physical therapy. During physical therapy I had sessions of traction and exercise. I am very fit and none of the exercises were new to me. I did get some relief from them taping my shoulder as that seemed to take the pressure off. Also,I was given muscle relaxers and I used heat patches during the day and a heating pad at night. Try to take it easy. Give your body time to heal. The cause of my pain was thought to be a herniation as revealed on my MRI. It is good news that you do not have that problem. It does sound like you are having nerve related pain and your doctor can give you medication for that type of pain. It should help. I think you might think about seeing a doctor that can test you for nerve damage.

I did end up having surgery. I think that may have been a mistake. I continue to battle the pain on a daily basis. Most people do recover from the type of pain you are having. It might take some time and I hope some of my suggestions help you.

Take care,

• Hello Melissa,
    Thanks for the response. I too was thinking of taking an opinion from a neurologist. It is surprising that the MRI also did not reveal anything specific. I am also against any type of surgery. I feel that my problem may be due to weak shoulder muscles, which I am strengthening gradually by exercising regularly. I hope to see some positive results in the coming months.
    Thank you very much for the response. I look forward to more responses, so that I can get a better picture of my problem.

Thanks and Regards