Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The family jerk

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Lower Back Pain

I'm officially the family wet blanket and jerk.

I was supposed to drive over to my sister's wedding o some 300 miles away. No way, I pinched a nerve last night and I can barely walk this morning. I took some relaxers to ease my discomfort, but of course you can't drive with relaxers.

I guess I'll have to accept the shunning for a bit - unfortunately no one in my family (except my sister - who understands my predicament) has ever hurt their back.

How many people here get more than a little abuse from friends and family who simply don't appreciate your condition?

• Hey there!

I've said this repeatedly; no one REALLY understands any of this back stuff unless they've experienced it themselves. Most people can only relate to what they have experienced, and most people have had a "backache" at least once. Yeah, a couple of Tylenol or Advil should fix you right up, right?

Once nerves are involved, it's a whole new level of pain. When my disc problem was at it's worst, knocking back two Percocet at a time didn't touch it. I'm fine now since surgery 18 days ago, and that surgeon is my hero now!

I'll admit, before all this started for me, I didn't "get it" either. I do now! Anyway, don't get too upset with people, they just have no way of understanding the profound impact on your life. Also, "what goes around, comes around", someday, they may find themselves in a similar situation.

Have a great July 4th!

• I was in the same boat. I never had sympathy for back pain sufferers, but having had a debilitating injury like this has really changed my opinion.

I have the fortune (if you can call it that) of not rupturing a disc like it would appear most on this group have. My injuries are muscle and ligament related. That said, the injury simply won't allow a "normal" functioning lifestyle. There are some things I simply can't do - like hop on the bike and ride cross country or ... go to my sister's wedding. And it sucks - because no one really comprehends the difficulties this injury creates.

Well, I am getting stronger every day. Each setback allows me to take 2 steps forward - and 3 Advils plus icing will push me through most daily chores.

My goal is to wake up without hip pain - if I can do that I think I can beat this.
  • 6 weeks ago I had a spinal fusion at L4-5. I lived in chronic pain for years before the last resort of surgery. I saw the surgeon yesterday and he was pleased with the MRI but said I was an extremely slow healer. My family and I were already aware of this. I am still using a walker and have difficulty voiding.

Initially my friends and family had my care covered by trading off and I was never alone. Only one of those friends and my immediate family are still around.

I have a 17 year old son who went through a life changing back injury resulting in surgery last year. He is a quick healer and was at school within weeks.

Here is my great sadness. My son started out trying to help my but the stress of the situation turned to neglect and verbal abuse. I am waiting to hear if I qualify for disability. Yesterday, the city turned off the water for non-payment. That 17 year old boy who I love with all of my heart left. He moved in with his dad who has been inconsistent in his life since he was born.

Here I am. Grateful to have a home. Grateful to come out of the surgery with the pain gone. Alone and missing my boy. And no water.

• dollface - welcome to the forum :)

I am SO sorry for all you are going through :hug:

I would like to suggest you start a new thread, this one is old and I think you will get a lot more responses/support if you have your own thread, asking for support.

I found a TON of support here when I have needed it. I was so depressed when I joined here.

I am going to send you a buddy/friends request, please accept it and feel free to PM ( private message ) me any time....... I really do care :hug:

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • PS: Are you sure they are allowed to keep your eater off when you are in the middle of a medical situation? I know in my state ( Pa. ) they are not allowed to turn anything off with a note from a dr.

Also have you contacted any agencies to see if they can help you out with water situation?

If you don't mind my asking what state do you live in?
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I am 43. The water situation was complicated by me not being able to get out and sending the payment through my bank to our little Texas town's utility company. Although I had budgeted money for other bills I decided earlier that I couldn't take it any longer and made arrangements so that my water should be back on in the morning. Thank you for your kind response. Knee replacement-ouch city. Of course I will accept your buddy invitation. I hope your pain is controlled.
  • I am happy to hear that you ( hopefully ) have water again. Though I understand it does make life rough when you have to rob peter to pay paul :(

I do hope to get to know you better :grin:" alt=":grin:" height="20" />
  • I have water and a neighbor fixed the A/C and put things back in order and made it easier to get around. I was in the middle of remodeling when this happened.
    I am working on learning to do housework. Today I focused on trash. I learned emptying a can doesn't work. If I use grocery bags and fill them up, I can take them outside to the big green can. That is it. I feel like I have been hit by a truck. I am going to bed. I am now very worried about money because I am almost out of pay. I have applied to get disability but think they will refuse due to the pre existing clause. My son says he will come over Monday after school. I have my heart set on it. I have a daughter in college that is going to ride her first 70 mile bike ride tomorrow in Utah. I am so happy that her body works and that she is making better health choices than I did. Maybe its because she is pre-med. I hope your pain is well controlled.
This discussion has been closed.