Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

carpal tunnel???

annmarie824aannmarie824 Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone,
OK this is great! I had shoulder surgery in Oct 2008 and then in Feb 2009 I had a 2 level PLIF (L4 L5 & S1) with all the hardware. I still have nerve pain in left foot but when I go anywhere where I have to walk far, I use my canes and it takes the pressure off the back. (if I dont I PAY FOR IT at night!) Anyways a few weeks ago I woke up with numb and tingly hands. (I also have herniations at C5-6 & T11-12). When I went to my ortho, the NP said it was carpel tunnel! Told me to wear these wrist braces. Hmmmmm...not sure they work. I tried starting PT a couple weeks ago, but that didnt work. I just got massive muscle spasms (charlie horses). So they decided hydrotherapy was for me and I LOVE IT!! Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone developed this after surgery and did it go away?? I do not want anymore surgeries. Thanks for any info you can give me...I do appreciate it!

• I had carpal tunnel surgery in my right arm but then was told pain was coming from my neck. The CTS surgery was successful. I have it in both hands but my left isn't that bad. I am hoping after I heal from my acdf, I will get feeling in my right hand and less pain in my shoulder. I guess time will tell.

Good Luck!

• i've had both cervical fusion and carpel tunnel but for the life of me i can't see how there could be any relationship between the two.....you know as i'm writing this i just realized there could be one!!!!! if youre using crutches or a cane to take weight off your legs the tendons in your wrist are under stress thereby applying pressure to the carpel tunnel nerves. so ann, maybe that's why the carpel tunnel developed!
    glad the water therapy worked....but how to take the stress off your back???
  • The canes must be the culprit...but now I have to find a solution! I do love the hydrotherapy...wish I could feel as good as I do when I am in the water!! Thanks for the respond,
  • I think a walker may work better for you. I use a cane and I think I would be better with a walker to take the pressure off the back and wrists. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • There can be a relationship between the two because the same nerve/nerves can be effected. If you have a disc herniation in your neck that causes numbness and/or hand/arm/finger pain and you also have carpel tunnel it is called a double crush injury. The herniation in your neck can crush/pinch the nerve that runs down your arm into your hand. This nerve can also be crushed/pinched if you have carpel tunnel but the pain starts in the elbow area and runs through the wrist to the hand/fingers. If you want to know how I know this that is easy I have/had it. I had ACDF in Sept 08 3 level C3>C6. I also have carpel tunnel s in both hands. It took time for them to realize the bigger problem was coming from my neck because the neuologist I first saw did the test for CT and found CT so started treating that. At the time all fingers on both hands were numb. Turned out that most of the issue came from my neck and happily I regained feeling in my fingers/hands after surgery. That is the good news. The bad news is I still have Carpel tunnel and my right hand hurts but now only two fingers are involved at times. I am NOT hurrying to have anymore surgery so I will live with it for now. Thats the short version of the story.