Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Memeber Here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all.
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jason and I'm 35 years old. I'm hoping I can share some of my experiences with my bad back with others and hope to learn some tips on how to keep mine strong at this point.
I just had my second microdiscectomy this week at L4/L5 and had my first at L5/S1 when I was only 26.

• Hi, and welcome! What kind of symptoms did you have with your back? I had a laminectomy, and foraminotomy at L5 S1 Jan. 2009, and still trying to get myself completely up and going! Working on my core muscles, stretches, walking, etc. Are you doing PT or anything? sweetpotatoe57
  • Hi and welcome! You will find a lot of support here, as well as others that share and understand what you have/are/will go through. I hope the surgery has been a success, and that you are doing well!

• When I herniated L5/S1 I had back pain and burning down the back of my left leg. I suffered with this through PT for around a year. It finally turned into burning/pain all the way into my foot, followed by loss of calf strength and numbness in my calf and foot. It was at that point when they said I needed surgery.

This most recent event was short. I twisted wrong jumping out of my car and immediately felt a 'jolt', this was followed by pain only in my back. That pain lasted for a week, then last Sunday I got up out of my office chair and felt extreme burning pain down my left leg. I laid down on my stomach (this used to help) but it got worse. I ended up laying on my right side in a very specific position to relieve the pain. It was the only position that worked. The pain was so severe that I wouldn't allow my wife to call an ambulance because I wouldn't move to my back. It was nauseating pain for 4 hours, then my entire left leg and foot went numb at around 4am. I went to the ER Monday morning and had an MRI which confirmed the disk herniation at L4/L5 with severe L5 nerve impingement. Had a consult with my Neurosurgeon on Monday and he said I needed immediate surgery if I hoped to regain some of the strength in my leg. I asked him on a scale of 1-10 how bad it was, and he said a 9.5. lol I had the surgery Wednesday.

The surgery was successful, although I still have "drop foot" and very little feeling in my calf and certain parts of my left foot. The neurosurgeon said it was a huge herniation that involved around 50% of the disc material. Now I just have to play the waiting game and hope for the best.
  • Welcome to SH :H I'm sorry to hear about you having back problems from a young age. There are many of us here who have gone through similar experiences and we range in all ages too. I had a microdiscectomy after herniating L4-S1, and then I suffered a recurrent herniation of L4-5 1 month post op. I went on to have a 2 level fusion and it's been a little over a year now. I still have chronic lower back pain and sciatica in both legs, and permanent nerve damage in my right leg. It's been a long, difficult journey but I'm doing what I can to make things better for me and my family. We're happy to have you here and we hope to get to know you better. Take care O:)
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. all the best for a successful recovery.. =D> of course you need to follow the doctor's orders completely!!! :D keep us informed!! Jenny :)
  • Glad you found us. Well I pray over time that your condition improves. Please keep us posted on how your doing. Though my condition was a little different than yours, I had simalar calf/lef issues post op that have significantly improved over time. And it keeps getting better. Although, not a quickly as I would have liked, took more like a couple months for me. I hope yours comes a little faster. Good luck with your recovery jayson.