Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

North Carolina law???

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi, is anyone on here from NC and got awarded SSD? If so, are we one of those states where Medicare doesn't kick in right away? I just heard from my attorney that my case was approved, and my caseworker said I'd be getting medicare, which would so help with our medical bills...we pay $900 /month for a family plan b/c my husband is self employed. If I get medicare soon, our first thought is to see if we could decrease our payment to husband/kids plan and take me off (women are so much more expensive due to maternity anyway, not that I could physically have another baby)...and the second thought was "what if I'm double covered" by our health plan plus medicare? Then our medical bills would be better. We have $10,000 in medical bills from me alone over the past two years that are not paid b/c we haven't had the money. With me not working, our credit is shot right now b/c we have gotten way behind. But, as you all know, the tests/doctor bills/treatments we have all the time are so pricey!!!!

So, if anyone knows about the NC system that would be great to get that info from you. Also, does SSD deduct $100/month for the medicare (I think I read that somewhere)...and also, last question (sorry)...how long does it take in NC to get the funds once the determination letter is recieved?

Thanks a bunch!

• Thanks again Paul....you are on the ball answering so many of my questions! I am looking over the site...so forgive me that I sound so ignorant, but are we part B (medical premiums)?? Two years from when I stopped working would be this October, so that wouldn't be too bad of a wait...it seems that some get it faster though? My caseworker acted like it was automatic. Do you have other insurance besides medicare? Do they cover pretty well? I have so many medical bills...hope it's better thank what we have.
  • Hello! I'm not from NC, but I thought I'd throw something out there: Have you applied through the state (DHSH) for Medically necessary Insurance to help out until you get Medicare? My "regular" insurance is canceled at the end of this month, since my kids are "all grown up". I was told to apply for this, and did last weekend. I'm told it can take a few months to get approved, but if you end up with unpaid medical bills for up to 3 months prior to your application, and you are approved, they will pay those bills.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!