Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Body Twitching / Spasms - 2 weeks post L5/S1 fusion

LumbarLynneLLumbarLynne Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 2 weeks post op and doing very good (I think anyway) considering the surgery was only 2 weeks ago. A couple of nights now, I have had different parts of my body twitching or doing a little spasm involuntarily. Sometimes, it is in my back and it causes me to move involuntarily in a way that causes me severe pain and wakes me up (these back spasms have only happened while sleeping). However, last night, I was lying awake after being woken up in pain by one of these and relaxed my body only to notice that the twitching was happening in my legs and even my fingers also. It is kind of like the twitching people do when they fall off to sleep. My husband says I have been twitching for a while now (since the start of my narcotic pain meds) but only now I am being woken up because of the movement it causes in my back. I am guessing this is related to the narcotics? Anyone experience anything like this? Any suggestions? I am currently taking 20 mg. Oxycontin 2X per day with 5 mg Oxycodone or 10 mg Tramadol for break through pain and 1 Balcofen (muscle relaxer) 2X per day. I am going to try to cut out my daytime dose of the Oxycontin tomorrow and just take my breakthrough meds to see how I do - also because I want to be able to do some short driving to get my daughter from camp - if I can get off some of the meds, maybe that will help? Would love some thoughts on this, it is driving me nuts and very painful when I get them in my back.

• Hey I read your post. I had severe tear jerking spasms for a few weeks after my lumbar 2 level fusion. I was told my muscles in my back were stretched out and the nerves were also pulled on. My neuro told me everyone is different but most have these problems after type of surgery. I still get the jerks when I relax but they are not as bad now. I am 1 year post-op on my fusion. I am 2 months post-op from my metal being removed but that has not changed the spasms. I think it is permanent nerve damage, though. Sorry you hurt that bad, I hope it eases up soon.
  • I use flexeril and neurotin to help with my spasms and cramps
  • I occasionally get muscles spasms that result in cramping in my legs or my feet. Sometimes it's severe. Other times I can manage to get them to go away quickly. I'm seven months post-op. My last big flare-up I took Lyrica for a little over a week and the spasms have diminished for now. I imagine they'll be back. I think it's nerve damage, but not sure.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • hi guys im waiting to have acdf c5/6 it was many things that made me go to the docs but most of all it was the twitching and body jumping when im relaxed,my arms,legs,even my head twitchies or jumps,
    i dont take any meds at all if i can help it so i put it down to the myleopathy i guess, hope thats of any use :)
  • Spasms here too, i had them right after surgery which i was told was from all that had been done as a result of surgery, anterior approach 3 level disc replacement. they have subsided since then. the spasms i currently have are due to the nerve damage in the lumbar spine. which were replaced L-3 to S-1. it is mostly in the left leg as a result of disc herniation and nerve damage. it may diminish over time, i am over a year post op and they are still with me. Lyrica and Neurontin help if i take them on a regular basis. but after all i have been through it is nowhere at the the level of pain i was prior to surgery.