Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tarlov cysts

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
I need advice. have tarlov cysts a little over 1.5 inches wide and DDD. I stay in pain night and day. Pain pills only make my pain less severe, but by no means take it away. I have been even trying a chiropractor but it seems like i am in worse pain in my lower back. Could he be harming the cysts? The chiropractor has helped my neck, but the area where the cysts are is excruciating. anyone have these cysts. My ns says they only affect about nine percent of the population.

• I don't know, but I think chiropractic manipulation could be dangerous around a cyst. I'd be concerned that he could burst it and cause permanent nerve damage. You should talk to your primary about this, and while you're at it talk to him or her about a referral to a neurosurgeon who may be able to aspirate the cyst or surgically remove it. If so, don't jump in just yet, always get at least a second and sometimes a third opinion, and choose the option they give you that seems right to you. Stick with the surgeon who wants to work with you and who you are most comfortable with.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health! :)

My MRI showed multiple neuroforaminal cysts in my cervical spine. My NS didn't mention them to me but when I saw them on the MRI I looked them up and found they are also known as Tarlov cysts. Having said that, I don't think they are causing me any particular problem but I suppose they could be narrowing the neuroforamina that the nerve roots pass through.

As for chiropractors, I won't see one again. First series of treatment for my sore neck (a few years ago) did nothing. Another chiropractor did one treatment on the vertebra where my disc was herniated and it made my pain 3 times worse. As far as chiropractic treatment with your cysts, a call to your NS should clear that up easily. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I have one big one - all of the docs I have ever been to said they are absolutely not a source of pain or concern.
  • I had 2 lipomas (cysts) removed from my lower back @ 10 years ago. One was at the surface and one sat under my hip bone areas. My experience was a long drawn out story - but the point I wish to make is they take up space right....ever have something between your teeth or under a fingernail or a small sliver? It all hurts, right - well that is my point.

The minute the second lipoma was removed I had immediate relief. I happened to be awake during the procedure (like I said long story) - mine measured
    3 cm - but I can tell you it made all the difference for me.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    My lumbar mri showed several tarlov cysts but the doctor won't even consider that they are the cause of my pain. I didn't have lumbar/buttock/leg pain until after I had a cervical myelogram and I believe the pressure of the dye caused the cysts to become painful but then again who am I to say?? The dr. says no. Wish they lived with this for awhile...

• the tumors/lipomas themselves do not have nerve endings - they do not of themselves have pain...but if they are rubbing on something or "stuck" can't they cause pain. Does that make sense?!

When they removed the interior lipoma from my back, I asked the nurse "What are you touching?" (i was awake, they did this will locate shots of novacine) She said - "YOUR BONE" - where, what she was touching was the source of pain for 3 years. In my humble opinion, based on my experience, the bone was constantly rubbing the lipoma. Hence, sitting driving, laying down was all very, very painful. I had to sleep on the couch for @ 2 years, there was one position i could lay with my right leg bent and resting on the back of the couch.

I have my new problems today with my neck, but I have not had to suffer from what i had, since they removed it. Just a side note, it was never seen on 2 mri's - they only saw it when they had remove the one at the surface. It was originally considered cosmetic - hence the local novicane - but then they cut down to where the 2nd one was and ....

Didn't like the way it happened, but ever so grateful that it was removed.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I think you may be right about the cysts pressing on something. I just don't see why they (doctors) won't consider it. You know, we as patients do know a little. After all, we suffer everyday. Sorry for the mood. I'm in one of them today! Pain does that to me even though I try not to let it.

• Just a point of clarification--definitions from Medicine.Net.com:

Cyst: A cyst is an abnormal, closed sac-like structure within a tissue that contains a liquid, gaseous, or semisolid substance. A cyst can occur anywhere in the body and can vary in size. The outer, or capsular, portion of a cyst is termed the cyst wall.

Lipoma: A benign fatty tumor

The two growths are not the same and are caused by completely different things. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Inchworm you bring up a valid point - they are 2 different things and have 2 different causes.

My point is mearly this: If you have a piece of apple caught between your teeth or a piece of corn - does that change the discomfort?

I am sure all of us have different lipomas, cysts throuout our bodies - with not notice to us...but when they are in a position that irritates the surrounding areas, they themselves do not have the pain, it is the surrounding irritated area that has the pain.

This discussion has been closed.