Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy L4/L5 - Epidural Fibrosis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hello all,

I've gone into a discectomy on 14, November 2008. - 8 months ago.
The recovery from surgery has been very hard.
4 weeks after my surgery, I came up with a new kind of pain. I could barely turn myself and I faced lots of stiffness in my spine, especially in the mourning.

But on March 2008, fortunately all that pain and stiffness have completely gone :)

Nevertheless, by the same time, I started to feel sciatica in my left leg, where I had never felt before (My original problems were on the right leg).

My surgeon asked for an MRI by that time and it showed too much scar tissue. My surgeon told that scar tissue is normal right after a surgery, but by this time it should not exist in so much quantity.

He told me to go to the swimming pool and he told me that this issue would solve itself naturally. He couldn't tell me how much time it would take... It can be 1 month.. 2 months.. 6 months... It's not predictable. But it solves itself.

Well.. I have been reading about scar tissue problems... And I'm getting scared. It seems that scar tissue has no cure at all. If it is true... Then.. Is my surgeon telling me the truth? Will I get better with time?

Please advice.
Thank you.

Best Regards,
Pedro Rosas

• I'm not a doctor, but it's my understanding that preventing scar tissue being a problem is best addressed asap after surgery. I was told by my PT that the stretches he gave me to do at home could be done almost immediately after surgery, and that they were designed to help prevent problems due to scar tissue.

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong!

• You've asked a good question...well, stretching like Kat mention is tried to hopefully minimize the formation of fibrosis but honestly I never heard of scar tissue being eradicated just by doing aquatherapy or other therapies.

I developed scar tissue after having a 2 level fusion a year ago and I have it pressing on the nerve root at L4-5, and the thecal sac at L5-S1. This affects my left side and it causes nerve pain and muscle spasms. I already had permanent nerve damage on the opposite leg from the sciatic nerve being compressed for too long.

Well, I hope you find the answers you seek and it helps you to gain some understanding in this complicating issue. Take care :H
  • Yes, that's a biggie for me also. NS said he removed a lot of EF tissue during my fusion surgery from my 2 priors, but it's baaaaack again...& like Meydey, pressing into my L4/5 nerve root & thecal sac, causing the same nerve pain/muscle spasms etc. Can't re-do b/c more surgery just makes more EF...

Just read about the "Graston Method" of helping "work out" the scar tissue by using some sort of instruments/kneading/massage work w/ them...was a post to this therapy on another thread..just checked out their website & it looks like something that might help..?

Worth a try, as I've been streching/massaging now for 1.5 yrs & nothing seems to be doing much.

Any info on the Graston method?