Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here - ACDF - C5 C6 C7 Wed Morning. TERRIFIED

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone!

My name is Michelle, and I've been simply reading online for a long time now. Finally decided I'd post and see if anyone would be willing to tell me their experience with this surgery. I'm a basket case, not going to lie. I've had lots of surgery before, to include a Laminectomy/Disectomy at T12 and L1 in 2007. However, this one is freaking me out.

I've read and researched and read some more. I just can't shake this fear.

There is SO much going on in my back, but my NS has said that we must address the neck first. The discs are ruptured as well as osteophytes formed internally compressing my spinal cord. I have DDD with Central Canal Stenosis which has narrowed my canal at these levels to only 5mm. So, with that being said, any personal info would be great.

Is the "choking" and hard to swallow feeling really that bad when you first wake up? One good thing is that my NS says I won't need a collar at all when I go home. As long as my neck feels somewhat strong and I don't have a lot of spasms or weakness, most of his patients with the plates and screws do great without the collar when fused at 2 and 3 levels.

Thank you for taking the time to read. You all seem to be a wonderful, kind group of people who really come through for others like myself.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad you stopped by.. fear is natural when you are facing a difficult surgery.. know that we are here anytime you need us. >:D< good luck and i know your recovery will be a good one. :D follow your doctor's orders!! =D> Jenny :)
  • I just had surgery c4,c5 and c5,c6 last tuesday. It's not even a week and I recommend cough drops after and ginger ale. It isn't bad at all and the swallowing in is almost back to normal and it's not even a week. Just eat soft foods and drink lots of water.

It's not that bad, and you'll do great! I think your at the worst part, just waiting to get it over with. I am so glad it's over and now I just need to heal.

• I had several levels done in 2006 and back then I wasn't a freaked out as I was 6/9/09 when I had a cervical laminectomy. Fear must set in the older you get. My throat hurt a bit but I don't remember choking. At the hospital I ate lots of ice chips and the pain meds took care of that discomfort. I felt safer wearing my collar then without it. I didn't want to have to redo the surgery or have any complications so I wore mine all the time except for showers. I would relax, the doctors doing fusions are excellent physicians. They are doing many of these surgeries. I used my 3 months to recover to sleep as much as I wanted. 3 months off work was nice. I started cooking more and got involved in CSI crime scene series from day 1. Those will keep you entertained. You could also get a Netflex account for 10 bucks a month and watch a lot of movies and old movies too.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • from one michelle to the other-it's understandable that your freaking out about the surgery, i went through it twice, my dr told me if you get yourself upset it will intensify your pain, it's normal to be afraid and scared. your throat will be sore, i used chloroseptic and ice. after your surgery take it easy and listen to what your dr tells you. and were here to help with any questions you may have,a lot of us have been through the same thing.. god bless michelle p
  • better but no cigar! i stayed in the hospital one night.. had a soft collar on ,and now i can eat some soft food... can't turn head to either side but i was scared too..take the time to heal sweetie..this forum is great and don't worry.. you will do fine!!