Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post op from L5/S1 fusion

LumbarLynneLLumbarLynne Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, today marks the 2 week mark and I am doing really well. I still have pain but it is constantly decreasing over time. Today was the first day that I decided to decrease my meds. I was on:

Baclofen (muscle relaxer) 2x per day
20 mg. Oxycontin slow release tabs 2X per day
5-10 mg. Percocet for break through pain
Tramadol for break through pain

Today, I decided to not take my Oxycontin this morning and just take pain pills as needed during the day so I don't feel so loopy! I ended up taking 2 Methocarbinals (lower dose muscle relaxers), a total of 10 mg (2 sets of 5 mg) Percocets and 1-2 Tramadol for the whole day. It allowed me to work some today which was great too.

I drove for the first time today - not much - just 5 minutes to pick up my daughter and then to 2 banks to drop off deposits. It was a little painful - mostly with the incisions hitting the seat in the back. I felt a minimal amount of pain from moving my feet to drive, mostly just from releasing the emergency break. I definitely won't be driving long distances but at least I can do short ones if I hold off taking any pain meds until I get back. I do okay with Tramadol and driving but not the others.

I haven't been walking as much as I should. It has been hot and I just have been busy doing other things. I need to get back to that. I think I will stick to the treadmill as I almost fell today because I stepped wrong and twisted my ankle, I think I am safer on a treadmill!

My incisions look very healed. My doctor had said it was okay to go back to the pool, so I did - I put two waterproof bandages on just to be safe. I also can take hot baths again!

I did a no-no today, I was feeling really good and needed to get something off the floor and I just didn't think and bent over to pick it up. It was less painful that before surgery, so that is good news but I can't believe I spaced and bent over - hopefully it didn't do any damage. That is the hardest part, as you feel better, you want to get back to life and it is hard to remember you are still healing.

Anyway, this is getting long but I thought I would give my 2 week update.
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks so much for sharing! It sounds like you are doing terrific! =D> I'm so glad you are able to get back to it so quickly, but be careful, when you feel good and do too much, it sometimes comes back and bites you in the a$$ the next day! B) I'm also surprised that you felt good enough to "forget" and bend over, because I think the first time I forgot, I never GOT bent over before I screamed in pain. Of course, since the surgery I'm just a big baby.

Take it easy as much as you can. If you feel good, do a little bit each day, then see how your body reacts the next day. It worries me that you did all that AND lowered your meds, I hope you prove my worries baseless! <:P

Take care!

>:D<

• I m happy you are feeling better. I am 4 weeks post op and just before 2 weeks I thought I was much better and I did too much and it came back to bight me in the buns. the 2nd week to the 3rd week were the worst pain and went back to taking full doses of pain meds again. I got in my pool with lots of relief and then when I got out my muscles were a bit sore again. Its a long process and will require a lot of tlc.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Congrats on feeling so good. Just be careful. My otho wouldnt let me drive for three months. Not necessarily the drugs, but you use alot of those muscles they just operated on, and it is hard on them, take it easy. I am sure you dont want to injure something and have to redo it. It is a long reocery and you are pretty fresh out of surgery.
  • Congrats on your progress. I had one fusion with no pain relief. Surgeon recommended doing two levels, employer doctor said only one level. Now a year after the injury now they are recommending the second level. All I want is pain relief. Keep us posted on your progress.
advertisement